Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Check Engine - Stop Engine Lights

Orren Zook Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Barnes View Post
    Again, thanks to all of you for the information. I flashed the codes per Steve's instructions and on the SEL I got a 46 code. If anyone has the meaning of that code I'd appreciate the interpretation. You guys are the best!
    Code 46 168/1 ECM Battery Voltage Low, 214/1 RTC Backup Battery Voltage Low (Release 29.0 Or Later), 232/1 Sensor Supply Voltage Low

All DDEC codes are available from the link I posted earlier. If you call up that link and click the 'show' button it will allow a search for specific information for DDEC II and DDEC III (plus lots of unrelated items).
    Last edited by Orren Zook; 02-13-2010 at 11:40 AM.

Thanks Orren, I couldn't make the link work earlier but will try again. Thanks for the follow-up. I'll try the link again when I get to my office. Wi-fi in this park is spotty at best. I have no idea about voltage to the ecm so I guess a road service is in order.
    Richard and Audrey Barnes
    and Jessie Jane The Wonder Dog!
    1998 Liberty
    2008 Saturn VUE

My Blood Runs Deep Orange

Is there a coin battery in these units somewhere?
    Greg

I got CEL check engine light

but SEL ?????? engine light?????
    Greg

Here's a link to the troubleshooting procedure for code 46.

http://www.tpub.com/content/trucktra...302-20_561.htm

It involves checking the voltage at the ECM with a voltmeter. The ECM runs on 12V, not 24V, so there is a tap between the chassis batteries to provide the 12V. Not sure on yours, but mine has a Vanner equalizer to keep both sets of batteries equally charged. Possible issues are a dirty/corroded ECM plug, bad or undercharged chassis battery, dirty/corroded battery cables or ECM connection to the battery or a defective Vanner (or whatever equalizer you have). Good luck !! Steve

Stop engine light.

As for a coin battery, I know that the DDEC II does not have one (I've had the ECM open!!). I believe that later ones do not have one either - they are (supposed to be) continually connected to the battery. Later DDEC versions have a data storage capability, and they write the data at the when the engine is turned off. There was a service bulletin that dealt with data loss when the ECM was incorrectly wired and the ignition cut the battery supply to the ECM as the engine was turned off.... I make the assumption that this means that they have no battery backup inside the ECM.

Thanks Steve

Stop Engine Light
    RB
    Richard and Audrey Barnes
    and Jessie Jane The Wonder Dog!
    1998 Liberty
    2008 Saturn VUE

My Blood Runs Deep Orange

My bus has a couple of yellow wires that are connected directly to the chassis batteries (not through the disconnects) and it is my understanding that they supply uninterrupted power to the DDEC and possibly the transmission ECM.

IF this is their purpose, and IF you have the same wires, and IF yours are as corroded as mine were, then MAYBE this could be the cause of less than ideal voltage causing your error code.

Just a thought....

I know this has been discussed previously, but on Richard's vintage coach he is likely to have wires directly connected to the batteries dedicated to the DDEC. Also CB 19, 20 and 21 in the rear electrical box are for the DDEC.

FWIW the wire at the LH rear (going by memory so double check) has a ring terminal and if the batteries and those terminals are not maintained that wire terminal is subject to corrosion, so the batteries can be fully charged, but the corrosion and resistance from that can drop the voltage to the DDEC.

The first thing that came to mind when I saw the 46 code was to check the equalizer. If it has failed it is possible the 12 volt side of the chassis batteries may be low on voltage. Also check to make sure one of the above CBs has not tripped. Usually if they trip the bus just stops. No warning.