Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Check Engine - Stop Engine Lights

Richard, Prevost Action Service is 800 463 7738

Good luck.

From the Detroit Book:

The CEL is illuminated and a code is stored if an electronic system fault occurs. This indicates the problem should be diagnosed as soon as possible. The ECM illuminates the CEL and SEL and stores a malfunction code if a potentially engine damaging fault is detected. These codes can be accessed in one of four ways:

Using the Diagnostic Data Reader (DDR)

Flashing the CEL and SEL with the Diagnostic Request Switch (may be combined with Stop Engine Override switch, see Figure 5-5)

Using the Detroit Diesel Diagnostic Link™ (DDDL) PC software package
    By ProDriver®, Electronic Fire Commander™, Electronic Display Module (EDM), or other display

There are two types of diagnostic codes:

An active code - a fault present at the time when checking for codes
    An inactive code - a fault which has previously occurred; inactive codes are logged into the ECM and time stamped with the following information:
    First occurrence of each diagnostic code in engine hours
    Last occurrence of each diagnostic code in engine hours
    Total time in seconds that the diagnostic code was active

Diagnostic Request Switch
    The Diagnostic Request Switch is used to activate the CEL/SEL to flash codes. Active codes are flashed on the SEL and inactive codes are flashed on the CEL (see Figure 5-6). Inactive codes are flashed in numerical order, active codes are flashed in the order received, most recent to least
    recent. The Diagnostic Request Switch can also be used as the Stop Engine Override (SEO) Switch. The codes are flashed out of the ECM connected to the switch.

The Diagnostic Request Switch is used to flash codes in the following circumstances:

The engine is not running and ignition is ON
    The engine is idling

In both circumstances, activating and holding the Diagnostic Request Switch will flash out the diagnostic codes.

Diagnostic Request Switch/Stop Engine Override

If no separate Diagnostic Request Switch is configured, the SEO Switch serves as both a Diagnostic Request Switch and an SEO Switch.

The Diagnostic Request/Stop Engine Override Switch is used to flash codes in the following circumstances:

The engine is not running and ignition is on
    The engine is idling

In both circumstances, activating and releasing the switch will flash out the diagnostic codes; activating and releasing the switch a second time will stop the ECM from flashing the diagnostic codes. Codes will also cease flashing if the engine is no longer at idle. The codes are flashed out of the ECM connected to the switch.

I have a list of codes - give me what flashes out and I will translate. Active Code 31 for example would flash on the stop engine light (red) 3 quick flashes, 1/2 second pause, 1 flash. If there are inactive codes, there would be a three second pause, then the inactive code would flash on the check engine light. In either case, there would be a 3 sec pause between codes and a half second pause between the first and second number. Hope this helps - Steve

Steve, thanks for the information. I'll read this carefully tonight and try to get the code. I'll let you know the result. Thanks for the info!
    Richard and Audrey Barnes
    and Jessie Jane The Wonder Dog!
    1998 Liberty
    2008 Saturn VUE

My Blood Runs Deep Orange

Thanks John, with your info and Steve's info, I'll try to get this done this evening. As always, thanks for your quick response!
    1998 Liberty
    2008 Saturn VUE

Jeff Bayley Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Barnes View Post
    After a 2300 mile trip from Atlanta to LA, my coach's check engine light came on about 5 miles from our destination. Within a mile of our destination the stop engine light came on. The engine seemed to be running fine at idle with no obvious problems (within my expertise - belts, leaks, coolant, oil, etc.). It did struggle to run when I tried to increase speed but at idle everything seemed fine. Any ideas before limping out to Mira Loma and Prevost? Thanks!
    From your original post above. I'm surprised no one mentioned the fact that the sensors can be set up (using Detroit Diesels laptop connected to the computer) to one of three things when they detect a failure. 1) Shut the engine down with no warning 2) Make the engine start fluttering to a stop. Sounds sort of like a jake brake. Still let's you run enough to get off the road. 3) Nothing. We should all check these when you can at Detroit because you never know how or if one of your settings could have gotten toggled to the "Nothing" option somehow along the way.

I think the coach will still idle if you have it on the #2 option and if you tried to accelerate it might start to flutter and loose power. I THINK what I wrote above is accurate. Corrections welcomed.

Is it not possible to short pin A to Pin M and start the flashing sequence. I believe they are the right two pins one over the other? Or is this only a DECC II thing?
    Greg

Greg,

I don't know if the Series 60 (DDEC III and beyond) offers that as a method. That is what I used with my first bus. But how the codes are read by a specific bus is not as important as knowing how to read them because if you are broke down a long way from civilization getting the right kind of help will save some serious alternatives (like a tow job for a coolant sensor as an example).

Orren Zook Guest

Maybe it's the throttle position sensor? or turbo issue? Any extra smoke from the exhaust? Even with my pure mechanical engine the codes were flashed on the shift panel when I had a major engine problem. Here's a link to the DDEC codes: http://library.motoralldata.com/tech...DEC_III%29.htm
    Last edited by Orren Zook; 02-13-2010 at 08:40 AM.

Without a code reader, pro driver or switch for the purpose of blinking the codes, there may be no way to obtain the code. Anyone with a 97/98 have the Detroit book with instructions?

Maybe the red over-ride switch has a dual purpose, blink codes using the CEL as well as the temporary restoration of power on a shutdown for safety reasons (getting off the road).

Richard - I would send you my code reader, but it's not good beyond DDEC 2.

Again, thanks to all of you for the information. I flashed the codes per Steve's instructions and on the SEL I got a 46 code. If anyone has the meaning of that code I'd appreciate the interpretation. You guys are the best!
    1998 Liberty
    2008 Saturn VUE