Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Check Engine - Stop Engine Lights

Default Check Engine - Stop Engine Lights

After a 2300 mile trip from Atlanta to LA, my coach's check engine light came on about 5 miles from our destination. Within a mile of our destination the stop engine light came on. The engine seemed to be running fine at idle with no obvious problems (within my expertise - belts, leaks, coolant, oil, etc.). It did struggle to run when I tried to increase speed but at idle everything seemed fine. Any ideas before limping out to Mira Loma and Prevost? Thanks!
    Richard and Audrey Barnes
    and Jessie Jane The Wonder Dog!
    1998 Liberty
    2008 Saturn VUE

My Blood Runs Deep Orange

lonesome george Guest

Richard, Did you see any information on the prodriver display? Mine will show codes that are active.
    Any Detroit Diesel service center can check your ECM for recent codes, a good place to start.

Richard, Somewhere in this Forum is a post of " things that will shut you down " Low Coolant is the first thing that comes to my mind. I'm sure someone with more knowledge than me will be on here shortly to give you a hand.

99 Country Coach 45XL
    Jeep Liberty

Also the oil pressure sending unit on the head shut me down one time. Thought it was the unit on the bulkhead but turned out to be the one on the head. Are you on the side of the road or in an awkward location ? If so I will make a phone call for you.

99 Country Coach 45XL
    Jeep Liberty

Thanks Jim, no we are in our site in Long Beach, CA. It happened literally a half mile from our destination. Made it in but will have to get it straightened out before moving again. Thanks for the response!
    1998 Liberty
    2008 Saturn VUE

A loss of power could be plugged fuel filter. We had similar loss of power, having to nurse the throttle up hills and limped into Tucson several years ago. Plugged filters let coach run fine at idle and on fast idle, but try for more power up a hill, faltered and slow go,
    Jim and Chris
    2001 Featherlite Vogue XLV 2 slide with Rivets-current coach, 1999 shell
    Previous 22 years,
    We have owned every kind of Prevost shell but an H3-40

You might also look at your Racor to see if you have water in the transparent fuel bowl. As George points out, check the engine code(s) on the ECM. Since the engine will idle, a fuel delivery problem at higher demand could be the indication of a water or filter or gel in the tank/lines problem. Keep us informed, whatever it was/is. Good luck.

Usually a restricted fuel flow will not light the check and stop engine lights.

Step one is get the codes. If you cannot get them from the ProDriver see if you can flash them. I don't remember the procedure, but maybe someone can let you know if it is not in your books.

Once you have the codes you at least know where to look. Coolant level will not cause a rough engine so I would rule that out. I assume as soon as the lights came on you scanned the dash and did not see anything out of the normal range such as coolant temp or oil pressure.

Until you have the codes any advice we all give is pure speculation and is likely to send you in many different directions.

No ProDriver on my coach. Instead of an Elegant Lady I have a Naked Lady. I'll look at the suggestions made so far and if nothing obvious I'll try to limp to A Detroit Diesel or Prevost location. Thanks for the responses. I'll let you know the results.
    1998 Liberty
    2008 Saturn VUE

Richard, every bus has a way for you to flash the codes. When you do all you have to then do it count. It will be a beeping along with a light flashing. It will give you a 3 followed by a slight pause and then 4 for example (I made those numbers up) before starting the sequence again. If you don't know how to do this now is a good time to learn because when you are in the middle of the desert on the shoulder of the road 200 miles from anywhere it is a good thing to know.

Prevost might be able to walk you through it.