Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Door Latch Malfunction

I contacted Prevost Jacksonville about ordering the " upgraded" mechanism ..the parts guy had no idea what I was talking about. Is there a part number or reference I should use?
    Granvil Tracy
    2000 Vantare XLV45, S-2

dreamchasers Guest

Grandvil,

Their seem to be some confusion concerning the upgraded door handle. When my handle failed, I also attempted to get the updated door handle. The response that I got was that the XL2 had an upgraded door handle, not the XL.

However, if you do locate an upgraded XL door handle, please pass the information along.

Hector

Quote Originally Posted by Jamie_Bradford View Post
    Mine was south of $ 200 . I was happy with that considering how quickly it was done.
    Jamie, Did they replace the entire part, part of the part or fix what you had ? I would also like to order a spare.

99 Country Coach 45XL
    Jeep Liberty

I think more important than a spare would be a device that can be inserted through the plug button and used to trip the latch from the exterior. Hector was creative and used a piece of his hacksaw, but there may be an alternative that might work easier.

Carrying a spare won't get you in the door.

As an alternative if there is a way to slide the door window open it is possible to reach in and open it using the inside door handle. That alternative might require disabling the window latch, something that leaves the coach unsecured, at least to people who know that is a means of access.

Jon, You are correct. I have always left my drivers window unlocked for emergency entrance. I looked at myself in the mirror the other day and realized there was no way I could fit through that hole ! Think I will start leaving the door window unlocked. Better yet, Hector how about giving us a class of B&E on the Bus Door !

99 Country Coach 45XL
    Jeep Liberty

I always leave a window unlocked for that very reason. Call me crazy but it has saved me time & money.

When I had my first coach we were in Las Vegas and my son-in-law dropped my grandson and me off at the coach and he drove to pick up someone at the airport. After he was down the road I realized he had the keys to the coach! No cell phones in those days, so I slid the driver's window open, put my 8 year old grandson thru the window and he unlocked the door.

Don't tell Louise that I leave a window unlocked!
    Tuga & Karen Gaidry

2012 Honda Pilot

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Wehrenberg View Post
    I think more important than a spare would be a device that can be inserted through the plug button and used to trip the latch from the exterior. Hector was creative and used a piece of his hacksaw, but there may be an alternative that might work easier.

Carrying a spare won't get you in the door.
    This it would seem to me is the critical point....Unfortunately not sure I can remember to leave a window latch open as they have to be closed to allow the shades to go down every night. Another thing to remember, and the first time I forget will be the time the door fails.

I'd have to take my door apart and play with it a little, but a release rod or cable accessible behind the door handle housing plug button might be the ultimate solution. That way the window remains latched, but if the handle fails digging out the plug button and then pulling on a cable release would upon the door. One of my cars has electric door handles. But if the battery goes dead or if the device should fail there is a release cable in the trunk and the door key will open the trunk if needed.

Remember that even if a bad guy knew of the cable it would do him no good unless the door was unlocked.

As an alternative that nobody mentions is the passenger side windshield. In less than 5 minutes the windshield can be removed. (XL coaches only). It should go back in in about 30 minutes at the most. We all like to think our coaches are secure, but they are easily accessed if someone is determined. An entry through the windshield will not set off any alarms. Ditto with side windows on an XL except those with the awning or slider windows.

Quote Originally Posted by dreamchasers View Post
    Grandvil,

Their seem to be some confusion concerning the upgraded door handle. When my handle failed, I also attempted to get the updated door handle. The response that I got was that the XL2 had an upgraded door handle, not the XL.

However, if you do locate an upgraded XL door handle, please pass the information along.

Hector
    I was told the same thing...for some reason I thought I recalled discussion about an upgraded mechanism to replace the factory XL mechanism.
    Granvil Tracy
    2000 Vantare XLV45, S-2

I remember a story of a guy busting into MH by removing the roof vent and drop his kid down to unlock the door.
    Greg