Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Door Latch Malfunction

Default Door Latch Malfunction

My front door latch made a "pop" sound today and I was not able to open the front door. Luckily Debbie was on the bus and opened the door.

I took the door panel off to look at the situation and this is what I found:

There is a rounded triangular piece of metal on the lower bottom center of the mechanism which turns the assembly clockwise when the latch is pulled and thus opens the door. The problem is the assembly is loose and goes "outward" as the metal tries to turn it thus causing the metal piece to "pop" around under it and not turn the mechanism?

I looked to see if the mechanism could be tightened down but it cannot?

Any thoughts?

I am in Florida , heading to Lazy Days Monday ( 2/8) for a rally. Should I let them look at it or go to Parliment or Millennium or is this a part that can be fairly easily obtained and installed?

Thanks

Jamie

ps What would one do if this happened and no one was on the bus?? How would you get in???
    Attached Images Attached Images
    2005 Marathon H3-45 # 0867

2013 Chevy Avalanche

Prevost , I think they have a new improved version. They do for sure on a early XLII.

Default Door Latch

I have used Parliament for a few years. Their service has always been very good. I would go there before Lazy Days.

Jamie,

Nice try Deb, you should have known you can't lock him out, he has all the money!

Take it to the people who know Prevost, not Lazydays... I just had a good friend there for some work on his 08 Beaver (plastic) HWH system and it was a nightmare. If your at the Rally Park, your closer to Parliament. I'm sure they can fix you up, it's a common problem.

dreamchasers Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Jamie_Bradford View Post
    My front door latch made a "pop" sound today and I was not able to open the front door. Luckily Debbie was on the bus and opened the door.

I took the door panel off to look at the situation and this is what I found:

There is a rounded triangular piece of metal on the lower bottom center of the mechanism which turns the assembly clockwise when the latch is pulled and thus opens the door. The problem is the assembly is loose and goes "outward" as the metal tries to turn it thus causing the metal piece to "pop" around under it and not turn the mechanism?

I looked to see if the mechanism could be tightened down but it cannot?

Any thoughts?

I am in Florida , heading to Lazy Days Monday ( 2/8) for a rally. Should I let them look at it or go to Parliment or Millennium or is this a part that can be fairly easily obtained and installed?

Thanks

Jamie

ps What would one do if this happened and no one was on the bus?? How would you get in???
    Jamie,

Now I can chuckle about it, but at the time of battle, it was not a laughing matter. On the rainy night before we left the OKC POG Rally, Lee was taking our dog out for the nightly doggy time. I was in the coach surfing the net when I heard a knock on the door. Lee was outside and could not open the door. Luckily, I was inside and was able to remove the access panel to the door and lift the lock assembly and open the door. We talked about not shutting the door unless someone was inside the coach until we could get repair parts. Since we were going to Fort Worth to visit our son, I would drive to Prevost Fort Worth and pick up a new door handle. So the next morning while POG members were leaving and waving, I was connecting the Jeep while warming up the engine. Lee came around the corner with this "special look" on her face and told me she had shut the door and no one was inside the coach! After a few moments to let my brain absorb this shocking data, I went about trying to figure out what to do. Thoughts of removing the front windshield were painfully "spiking" what little thinking capacity I had left. To make matters worst, then I remember that Jim C had just pulled out and he had all the windshield tools.

Then I remembered how the lock mechanism was made and what needed to happen to unlock the latch. First, I removed the plug mounted forward of the handle. Then I took a hack saw apart and used the forward bow section of the hack saw to reach inside the release the latch. Their are no words to describe the feeling of "hearing the latch release". Only one that experienced this particular failure can fully appreciate this sould. Plus, opening the door certainly relieved any "martial tension".

So to answer your "PS" question of what to do if the door latch fails with no one inside. You can open the door using my technique, with allot of luck.

I mentioned that while fresh on my mind, I would design an emergency "unlock" tool and share the measurements, but the priority of the project has slipped. Jim C reminded me, so I will work on it this week.

Hector
    </IMG>

sticks Guest

I assume this door lock mechanism is not any way similar to 2005 Liberty?My wife is not going to want to stay in the coach all the time we are on our trips.
    ( would save money on shopping excursions though)

Prevost does have a improved version for XL and XLII coaches,I would call and have the part shipped ASAP because you never know where they might be in stock.

Default THANKS TO PARLIAMENT !!!!!!

I called Parliament this morning and they told me to come on up.

I got there around noon and they had me out of there with a new latch installed before 2PM!!!

They were FANTASTIC. I would highly recommend them to anyone who needs service in this part of the world.

Jamie

2013 Chevy Avalanche

If I can ask. What did that cost? I'm thinking of having the new on installed when I'm at FW Prevost next week just as a precaution.

Mine was south of $ 200 . I was happy with that considering how quickly it was done.

2013 Chevy Avalanche