Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Door Latch Malfunction

Orren Zook Guest

Quote Originally Posted by gmcbuffalo View Post
    I remember a story of a guy busting into MH by removing the roof vent and drop his kid down to unlock the door.
    Greg

That's why they don't put roof ladders on a Prevost, only on plastic coaches.

Default Latch Info

On the invoice the part is:

KR-030-0850 Chrome Baydoor Latch

They did replace the entire part , outside latch and inside mechanism.

Latch was $ 69.99 and 1 hour labor to install it.

Jamie
    2005 Marathon H3-45 # 0867

2013 Chevy Avalanche

Default Roof Ladder

Hey! I have one. Factory installed by Liberty. It's function is to get up top to the observation deck. We are big NASCAR fans and the deck is great for viewing races from the infield.

On the "Lazy Days" issue. We bought 3 units from them. Our third unit was a Monaco that had a brake recall. Took it to Lazy Days for the necessary repairs. After getting the coach back we went to New Orleans. On the return trip we had just passed Pensacola Florida and the coach started shuttering. Pulled into a rest area and checked for a flat tire. Nothing appeared wrong. Got back in and proceeded back on the interstate. Went up a small rise and ,going down the other side, floored it and the best it would do was 60 MPH. Pulled over and opened the door and rancid smoke filled the motorhome. My daughter looked under the front and it was on FIRE. I put it out.

Had to get towed to a service garage and the mechanic informed me that there was a recall on the brakes and if I had addressed the issue I would not have had the problem. I handed him the RO and he said that they hadn't touched the back at all and all they had done to the front was to replace the caliper pistons. They should have replaced the entire caliper and the pads as they were below 50% with only 4000 miles on the coach.

Lazy Days refused to admit any wrongdoing. We immediately traded it and bought a 4 slider from a dealer in Georgia.

Lazy Days was forced to do warranty work on the unit we purchased in Georgia. They actually did a very through job and detailed their step-by-step process by describng every nut, bolt and screw that they touched.

Parliament is just 20 miles away. I will go there when I need something.

Just my 2¢ worth.
    Ron & Suzie Hampton
    2001 Marathon H3-45
    Ford Edge towinf 4 down

lonesome george Guest

Default Unlock tool

Here is a simple tool made from 1/4" rod, 9" long with a 1/2" long 90 degree bend on the end, works great.
    First picture is of the tool.
    Second picture is of the tool hooked on the linkage going thru the hole in the lock face plate after the cap has been removed, just push down on the rod to open the lock.
    We are headed to Wyoming in a couple of days and I remembered the potential for the latch failure and figured it is time to have some kind of countermeasure in hand before it's an emergency.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by lonesome george View Post
    Here is a simple tool made from 1/4" rod, 9" long with a 1/2" long 90 degree bend on the end, works great.
    First picture is of the tool.
    Second picture is of the tool hooked on the linkage going thru the hole in the lock face plate after the cap has been removed, just push down on the rod to open the lock.
    We are headed to Wyoming in a couple of days and I remembered the potential for the latch failure and figured it is time to have some kind of countermeasure in hand before it's an emergency.
    Real nice George, but clarify that explanation.

In the diagram it looks as though the tool will move clear of the lock mechanism if pushed down as you state. How does it open the latch?

JIM

lonesome george Guest

Jim, You push the tool down on the outside of the door the hole in the lock face plate is the fulcrum the lever moves up on the inside of the door.
    I guess one or two more pictures would have helped to show how the thing functions.

Got it now, it's rock the tool down and force the tip by the latch up!

GOOD IDEA!

Too bad no one but I wanted the awning locks, they're really nice too!!

JIM

Talk about panic mode...I stop in a T/A truck stop for fuel, alone. Hop out and fill up, go to get back in and it's a no go, the door won't open. Panic mode kicks in as other truckers are pulling in to fuel up. All windows are closed as it was night time and cold. To make a long painful story short, I call AAA and the tow truck driver was able to fish a rod in through the door window and pull the handle up opening the door. When I got home I opened up the door to access the failure. Wish I had pictures to post, but when the deadbolt is activated it dislocates the ability for the door handle on the outside to trigger the latch. This movement dislodged the bracket from its holder and even though the deadbolt had not been used, the latch was in the bypass mode. I put everything back into place but I know one thing for sure, from now on I'm gonna leave that window closed but unlatched so I have a way back in.

Aren't these buses fun!!

I had a friend with a living room full of people in an XLV and the latch failed. They couldnt open the door from the inside or outside. Everyone went out an awning window in the living room to a ladder. Only some easily fit through.

Imagine asking your guests to exit out a livingroom window onto a step ladder.

These r the things memories r made of.
    Last edited by Joe Camper; 11-22-2019 at 10:17 PM.
    1990 Peterbuilt 377
    3406 B Caterpillar
    13 Speed Roadranger
    No Norgrens

1 day on paper no machines