Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Our Introduction,New to Prevosts, New to Pog, OLD Rvers

Default Our Introduction,New to Prevosts, New to Pog, OLD Rvers

Well, we actually took the plunge and bought a 1991 Prevost Beaver Conversion, a week before Christmas, but due to our plans to surprise some friends in Quartzsite, we kept our purchase on the "hush-hush". They were expecting us to show up in our GMC 4107 conversion, ha ha. We've been on the road ever since, so I haven't taken the time until now to say HELLO.

We're still among the working poor in Mustang, OK, our home base, doing hvac/plumbing work when we have to, traveling when we can sneak away. The trip to Quartzsite was a lucky break for us, and we're, sniff sniff, on our way home again. It was a little scary to buy a coach and immediately drive it on a 3000 mile trip, but we've been very pleased with the rig and have had a great time.

This coach is #12, of the 34 Jim mentioned on a previous post as having been converted by Beaver Coach during the 1990-1992 time period. It's the LeMirage XL, 40', 102", with the 8v92 turbo, with 174,000 miles on it.
    It has the light oak interior, all the bells and whistles you'd expect, with the extra treat of having four Astral roof sightseer windows, which really give the coach a wide-open look.

We're not exactly NEW to buses, as we have been driving a 4107 which was converted by Sundance Coach back in the 80's, and had just really gotten going on a MCI-9 that we were converting ourselves. Although we will miss out on the challenges and satisfaction of doing a custom conversion for ourselves, we just couldn't justify the time and cost involved compared with the price we paid for this bus. My personal woodshop can be put to plenty of use finishing up the woodwork on our home, and Larry's numerous metal working and mechanical skills never lack for projects. Shoot, even if our work trucks didn't needs his attention, the numerous tractors, backhoes,trackhoe, dozer, grader, bobcat. . .(oh goodness, need I go on?) all are in line for some sprucing up, and I'm sure he'll find some other piece of equipment he's just GOT to have. (He has every welder ever invented, I SWEAR! Each one was purchased with the insistance "this weldor does EVERYTHING i'll ever need to do, it'll be the LAST welder I'll EVER have to buy. . uh huh, sure, siiiigh.

Anyway, I digress. . . hello to everyone and be prepared for some serious "brain-picking" as we learn the ins and outs of this new-to-us bus. Christy Hicks

Southern Pines, NC (next door to Pinehurst)

Default Welcome Aboard

Larry and Christy,

Here is a warm welcome to POG for both of you. Christy, don't let Larry get together with Jello Jeep. He likes tools and buying new tools way to much. The rest of the POG crowd is mostly OK. Hope you enjoy the experience and are able to get away for a POG Rally soon. I think the next big one is going to be in Texas so it could be relatively close to you.

Hope to meet up somewhere on down the road. I know you will find that $25.00 annual dues to be the best money you ever spent on a bus! This group is very supportive in times of technical need and just a plain Hoot to be around. Lot's of fun.

Thanks for the welcome Will. I'm not sure WHO would be a bad influence on who. .. but it's a good heads up to try to keep the two of them apart, ha ha. . . . especially since we tow a Jeep too yet!

I'm sure I'll be joining several forums and gleaning as much info as possible as we learn this new bus. I did pick through here this morning and got a couple of ideas for dealing with too low of turbo boost and loss of power climbing hills. Larry changed the air filter before we left, which did increase it some, but next the step will be changing the fuel filters. This coach is supposed to weigh in at about 42,000 lbs, which is SUBSTANTIALLY higher than the 27,000 lb 4107, but he still thinks he should have more power on the hills, moving from the 8v71 to the turbo'd 8v92. Nothing hits home like the reminders to start with the simple things before jumping to conclusions! We do have just a few little smudges indicating exhaust leak, but it sure can't hurt to change those filters!

I'm sure we'll be checking into the Prevost rallies, in addition to the couple of rallies we already attend. We just left Quartzsite, and we've done Jack's rally in Arcadia, FL, along with the TBR in Texas and we also hold a small rally in Carthage, MO every year, each of which is different, yet fun.

I guess I'd better get researching ways to polish our stainless, as we have just a little of that bluish discoloring if you look closely, and after finding out that the MINIMUM price for professional polishing by a coach place was $4,200,, I think I might just learn how to do it myself, ha ha. Thanks again, Christy

WELCOME CHRISTY.
    Glad you and Larry have joined this group!! By the way, I have added yet another puzzle to our Coach #34. The 2nd owner called me yesterday after I left a message several weeks ago.
    They owned our coach for 12 years, selling in 2007. Do the math from Bob Barnard, the first owner who I talked to in January, the time line all fits.
    Now, there is about 2 years for the third owner, but I don't think we will ever find out who that was.
    Bus 29 was listed for sale at the Mannheim Car Auction in Fontana Ca yesterday. Kenin Erion called earlier in the week to tell me about it.
    Ty Kelly at Beaver Coach Sales was able to get their website and glean the VIN number. I talked to a guy at the auction who was kind enough to pull a drawer to see the "BEE" number which was B-29. I told them to give the owner my contact info to add to our sheet.
    Anyway, WELCOME from Coloradobus-Jim and Chris
    Jim and Chris
    2001 Featherlite Vogue XLV 2 slide with Rivets-current coach, 1999 shell
    Previous 22 years,
    We have owned every kind of Prevost shell but an H3-40

Welcome Christy and Larry. You should be able to get all your questions answered on this forum. You will get answers even though they might not be the right ones. We do have many members with the 8V92, so you will have plenty of help with any maintenance you wish to do.
    Dale & Paulette

"God Loves you and has a plan for your life!

Great to hear from you again Jim. That's awesome that you were able to get more info on your rig. With only a two year span missing, you've got almost a complete history! Let's keep our fingers crossed that the owners of #29 find you or us! At least we know it is STILL on the road, eh? If that's correct, that means we've got 12-14 coaches we know are still in use.

We have been on the road for a few weeks, so I haven't had a chance to really put together all the info I've been receiving on the various buses. I'm hoping you'll see me an updated list of what you have, then I can look over all of my notes and see if I have anything to add or not. Probably not, but worth a try.

Thanks for the big welcome and maybe one of these days we'll connect somewhere. Christy

Welcome to the asylum. As Dale said ask all the questions you want and we will always have an answer.

On certain rare occasions we will even have the correct answer. You will know when that happens because we charge money for those.

Thanks for the welcome Dale.

I see you hail from one of our favorite places to visit, Pensacola. We never fail to visit Joe Pattis seafood market if we come through, and have eaten at several good places when visiting! Hmmmm, do I sense a pattern here. . . yes, I'm afraid that often, we judge towns by the quality of their restaurants/food offerings, haha. That, and what they offer for antique stores, flea markets, and music venues. . . touristy type things (yep, we're the quintessential tourists, camera in hand, ready to see something new!)

Anyway, thanks again, Christy

Welcome Christy. I read the bus conversion mag forums from time to time and remember seeing your announcement about the purchase of your Beaver. Hope you are enjoying your new ride - the pics looked very nice. The skylight is very cool - you might post some pics up on here.

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Wehrenberg View Post
    Welcome to the asylum.
    Hmmmm, I'm thinking maybe I WILL fit in after all!

On certain rare occasions we will even have the correct answer. You will know when that happens because we charge money for those.
    Hahaha, well, as long as I have a way to know the difference, I guess I'll be safe,

Yeah, it seems that I am CONSTANTLY overwhelmed by the breadth of knowledge on these forums and I'm still searching for the teeny, tiny forum of people that know less than I do. .. haven't found it yet, but I keep my eyes open! Thanks for the welcome, Christy Hicks