Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Prevost Terms -- Unfamiliar

Orren Zook Guest

When we were at Mt Rushmore a couple years ago the SDDOT was checking all commercial buses in the bus parking lot - four of the thirteen there were red tagged for safety violations, stranding the tourists until repairs were completed on site, new drivers or other transportation arrived. Quite an inconvenience for those unsuspecting travelers.

Sounds like a sort of Profiling perhaps, but probably just a means of generating monies for the state as mentioned. I would hazard a guess that their desire may be somewhat motivated by highly advertised Bus Accidents such as the one in Atlanta when the small town's team crashed into an exit ramp probably due to Driver fatigue.

I question their skills and intellect if the DOT folks cannot tell the difference from a commercial vehicle and a private motorhome.

Maybe that's why they paint a taxi yellow, so it looks different from a black and white Crown Vic and grandma and grandpa's Crown Vic.

Quote Originally Posted by rahangman View Post
    Sounds like a sort of Profiling perhaps, but probably just a means of generating monies for the state as mentioned. I would hazard a guess that their desire may be somewhat motivated by highly advertised Bus Accidents such as the one in Atlanta when the small town's team crashed into an exit ramp probably due to Driver fatigue.
    Back in 1999, when I was still spending my summers driving buses for touring DCI drum corps, the Wisconsin DOT turned up in force at Camp Randell stadium in Madison, WI at the DCI World Championships and proceeded to inspect every bus there. With over 50 drum corps competing at an average of 4 buses per drum corps (in addition to dozens of buses belonging to school groups attending as spectators), the inspectors poured over about 300 buses and red tagged/shut down so many that it created a logistical nightmare! It was painfully obvious that it was a revenue generating mission as some drum corps that were found to have "safety violations" were able to pay "fines" on the spot to keep from having their buses "quarantined". Fortunately, our buses were not red tagged or ticketed for any violations. Our director was an old bus guy and watched the inspectors like a hawk and wasn't discreet about it. I think they knew they had met their match!

I would imagine that unless they have an inspection pit, ramps, or some means of elevating a bus an inspection for a commercial bus will involve lights, wipers and the standard pre-trip air system / brake system check.

Nobody I know of with a brain will get under a bus to do an inspection of brake adjustment or brake pad / shoe thickness or any other underside inspection.

Default Atlanta Bus Crash

I take exception to the comment that the crash was due to fatigue. My info states the drivers (2)had made a change prior to to the accident.

Ed
    CaptMogul & Sandy
    2002 Royale XLII D/S
    2013 Toyota Tacoma
    PRAY FOR OUR TROOPS & THEIR FAMILIES

I agree with Ed. That crash site was at an HOV exit ramp that ended in a "T" intersection, and someone unfamiliar with the HOV exit lanes could easily enter the exit ramp without realizing in a few hundred feet there was a stop sign. Once it was realized an error had been made there is no way to stop a bus from highway speeds.

Now that HOV exit has very clear markings and drivers will not mistake the exit for the thru lane.