Thread: Restricted roads in California

jelmore Guest

Default Restricted roads in California

We're in Temecula and thought we'd go to the Borrego Springs area for a while. Ran across this website called "45' Bus & Motorhome Restricted Routes" at http://www.dot.ca.gov/hq/traffops/tr...s-restrict.htm

Looks like we can't get there from any direction if those restrictions are strict, certainly not from the west.

Is it probably best to follow the rules? I don't mind twisty roads unless we just won't fit. Anyone have any experience down in this part of California?

I do believe that it would be prudent to follow the rules. I cannot recall the fine schedule but suffice to say it is hefty plus you get a point or so against your driving record, insurance rates, etc. I do believe that all of the POG members that are California residents will attest that if you are stopped by the Highway Patrol you can expect a ticket for something...just the way it is! Should a sheriff of local policeman stop you there is a 50-50 chance that you can plead ignorance as a visitor.

I'd seen that website before, but didn't examine many routes closely, since I tend to stay on major highways.

Interestingly enough Outdoor Resorts in Aquanga is on a restricted road! And 95% of the coaches out there are 45 foot.

I personally don't suggest (as John said), tempting fate, but my guess if you came in from the east, you are traveling on very little. The roads were marked as OK for 40 footer.

Personally, I haven't been out to Borrego Springs, so I can't tell you how good is the road, really.

Ray

I have been on the road between Temecula, and Borego Springs. You are correct in that you are restricted to coaches of 40' or less on that roadway. It is definitely possible to make it with a 45' without any problem, and California does not post the restriction. I think it is unlikely you would be stopped or ticketed, particularly if you are an out of state vehicle. That being said, the reason for the restriction is that it is a narrow road with sharp turns. The state is concerned that you could not make the tightest curves, and remain in your lane. If you were to be involved in an accident because of straying into the other lane you would likely incur increased liability. Brian E. made that trip about 3-months ago, and he could possibly comment on the drive as well.
    Steve & Rhonda Bennett
    Dana Point, CA
    92 Marathon XL40
    2012 Jeep Rubicon Unlimited
    Owner: California Coach Company, LLC

Jim,

We actually made a loop. From Steve's place we headed south on I-5 to Escondido, Hwy 78 to Borrego Valley Rd (we missed the Yaqui Pass (S3) turnoff). We made the drive on a very busy Saturday afternoon and were pulling off to let cars pass frequently. The road was narrow in places with some hard right curves where we had no choice but to go over the median. That said and if the traffic was light, I'd do it again on a good visibility day.

After spending a couple of nights in Borrego (we're not golfers and the hiking was VERY arid) we headed for the Outdoor Resort in Aguanga via S3/S22 (Montezuma/San Felipe Rds) to Hwy 79 on to Aguanga. We had been to Aguanga on a previous trip and knew it to be a first class resort with plenty of good hiking, mountain biking and very nice amenities.

Of the two roads (to and from) I would definitely class Hwy 78 to be the more challenging. Except for the steep climb with some interesting drop offs leaving Borrego on S3, it was a routine mountain drive. A descent down S3 would be more hazardous but still doable. The views are spectacular. Looping a little further south on 79 through Julian which is an interesting little town would probably be more interesting for your copilot.

jelmore Guest

Thanks for all the advice. Appreciate the perspectives and the experience. I don't know what we're doing or where we're going but we're going to spend the afternoon driving and we'll see where we end up. I'll consider myself well-warned and well-informed.

jelmore Guest

Worked out just fine. Took the northern route, 79, out of Temecula and the 78 out of Julian. The wife was white knuckled. We'll be dry camping just off-road at 78 and Borrego Springs Road. They allow that out here in this state park. Thanks for all the help. That Julian is quite the tourist attraction on a Sunday afternoon.