Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 2010 Summer travels in the west

Default Garden of the Gods

Quote Originally Posted by ajducote View Post
    Thanks everyone. Sounds like Sante Fe and Wiliams are covered. Does anyone have any good suggestions for Colorado Springs and Colorado in general? Or other places in Arizona that are worth a 2 week stay?
    HERE IS A PLACE IN COLORADO SPRINGS, I BEILIEVE OTHER POG MEMBERS HAVE STAYED HERE, I HAVE NOT.
    http://www.coloradocampground.com/index.htm
    Gary & Lise Deinhard, 2003 Elegant Lady Liberty, Dbl slide

WE have stayed at Alpen rose in Durango. Very nice place with room for the coach and toad. Just be careful about leaving and turning north during the day. Traffic can be bad.

Santa Fe Skies is one of our favorite places to stay. We have been there 5 times over the years.

When in Durango book the Silverton Train trip. Definitely worth the time. I would recommend taking the bus back.

If you have time go into the Steamboat Springs area. Lots to see and do. There is a campground just west of town on the north side of route 40. Good electricity, cell service. It is called Eagle Soaring RV Park.

While in Colorado do not miss the Rocky Mountain National Park.

Colorado...think about an annual pass at the State Park System. I do recall that you need two passes, one for the towed vehicle as well, but the total for both was less than 100.00. After that I believe you pay only a small fee at entrance with a two week maximum stay in each park. They have a reservation system available as well.

The Colorado State Parks run anywhere from "bare bones" to full 50 amp water and sewer. There is an especially nice park south of Denver a few miles in Littleton around a larger lake that has very easy access to all of the Denver area...big pull thru's (horse shoes off of big loops).

BTW if anyone is 62 or older be sure to grab a lifetime pass to the National Park System for free entries (I do believe Grand Canyon is now at 40.00, with Yosemite biting at those heels as well). Should you need one go to the local BLM office, the BLM issued passes offer some additional "goodies".
    Last edited by flyu2there; 01-30-2010 at 08:16 AM. Reason: after thought

Quote Originally Posted by ajducote View Post
    Paul,

Thanks for the info.
    Is this the ine you mean?

http://www.thetrain.com/grand-canyon...park-5738.html

I will be at the PSL Rally so I will pick your brain then if that is OK?

Thanks
    OK but you'll need to pick quickly.... there's not much left !

Hey Andre,
    '
    Garden of the gods RV Park is a great locale for the Pike Peak area. It is a bit tight.

A few miles out west of the Springs up at 10,000 ft near Divide Co is Mueller State Park, an absolutely great state run campground.

Another nice Park for local Denver attractions is Dakota Ridge RV Park in Golden or our office parking (50 amp and water) lot which is 7 miles clioser to downtown.

South Central area, near the Wheeler Geologic formation and near the headwaters of the Rio Grande, is Mountain View at River's Edge in Creede.

Then ofcourse, up high again at 9400 ft is Tiger Run in Breckenridge.
    Further north in the Estes Park area is the sister park to Dakota Ridge in Golden, Elk Meadows

Further north in Ft Collins is the KOA in La Porte Col

Grand Junction area is RV Ranch. Its a great park centrally located for seeing the vineyards of Palisades or going to the Colorado national Monument.
    As others have said Santa Fe Skies is great and John and his family are super people. Be sure to eat downtown at the Shed Restaurant,(call ahead)
    And be sure to take self tour of the artwork at the State Capital building which is free. The Artwork is of local artists. the art is spectacular and the building as well is great since it is round.
    Happy Trails
    Last edited by Coloradobus; 01-31-2010 at 12:47 AM.
    Jim and Chris
    2001 Featherlite Vogue XLV 2 slide with Rivets-current coach, 1999 shell
    Previous 22 years,
    We have owned every kind of Prevost shell but an H3-40

Jim & Chris,
    Thanks for all the Colorado information. This will help me a lot. I have most of the trip planned out, just needed a little more help for Colorado.

If we make it up to Denver we will stop by to see you. Thanks again, much appreciated.

Based on the names you provided, I ran across Loveland RV Resort, part of the "Essential Colorado RV Resorts" system. Do you have any first hand knowledge of Loveland?[IMG]file:///Users/andreducote/Library/Caches/TemporaryItems/moz-screenshot-2.png[/IMG]
    Last edited by ajducote; 02-01-2010 at 08:05 AM.

Andre and Ann--we stayed at Santa Fe Skies. It was nice but high on a hill so quite windy and dusty as only the main road is paved. However, the visit was outstanding due to the wonderful restaurants and art galleries on Canyon Road. Geronimo and Fuego are outstanding fine dining establishments. They were superb. We also enjoyed Gabrial's, mexican food with a beautiful patio. It is north of town past the the Opera House. The Pink Adobe's reputation is better than the food!

We are also fans of Tiger Run Resort. Beautiful park with great access to the area. We have traveled to Breckenridge for years. Favorite restaurants there are Mi Casa, Eric's and Steak & Rib.

Sounds like a wonderful summer trip. Enjoy!!

Carla

You got me Andre,

I didn't know Dakota Ridge, Elk Meadows et al, we owned by one outfit.

Anyhow, we have used RiverView RVPark for Airstream rallies, aka Loveland Rv Resort. It is nice and nestled right on Big Thompson River. Town is not far and neither is Estes Park.
    I Don't about accomodating busses with the entry bridge over the River
    Jim and Chris
    2001 Featherlite Vogue XLV 2 slide with Rivets-current coach, 1999 shell
    Previous 22 years,
    We have owned every kind of Prevost shell but an H3-40