During recent work in my inverter bay, it was discovered that my electrical shore power cord needed attention. The electrical box where the shore power cord connects to coach's power system system, the strain relief fitting had come loose. To make matters worst, the shore power cord looped under a sheet metal wall to where the cord coiled up from the automatic cord retractor. When the shore power cord was fully extended, the cord stop retainer was adjusted in such a manner it allowed the cord to pull hard against the connection box and up against the metal wall. Repeated full extensions of the shore power cord could have resulted in cutting through the shore cord by the sharp metal wall.

To protect against accidentally cutting the shore power cord against shore power cord sheet metal enclosure, we did several things. First, we adjusted the end of cord stop to allow extra slack to prevent the shore power cord from being pulled to tight. Secondly, as the shore power cord looped through the hole in the sheet metal, we added cable clamps holding the cord down on both sides of the sheet metal opening. And third, we replaced the metal box with a water tight electrical enclosure to assure water tight connections.

I posted this particularly for Country Coach owners to check their installation to assure the possibility of a major electrical short can be avoided.

IMG_4213.JPG
This photo is what we found after removing the battery case. This junction box can be accessed without removing the battery case.

IMG_4241.JPG
This is a photo of the new junction box and the shore power cord has been anchored to the floor on both sides of the sheet metal wall.

IMG_4246.JPG
The finished installation.

I hope this helps.

Hector