Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Battery/Inverter Upgrade - 1

First class, Hector, looks like the quality of work even Kevin would approve.
    Now load up and burn some diesel.

So, Mike, is Friday night still Margarita Night? Thought so.

Great job Hector. Is it possible the corrosion was in part a result of lead acid batteries being in there at one time?

dreamchasers Guest

Paul,

The footprint of the Magnums are simular, but not the same as the 2500s. As I recall, the Magnums are a little larger in all dimensions, however, they fit my applications fine.

Jon,

I agree that some of the rust in the battery case was caused by flooded batteries gassing while charging in the past. What a mess! The rust on the rear of the battery case was from a small leak in my shower drain that was corrected during this upgrade.

I let the coach sit for a couple of days with minimum loads and the battery voltage was at 12.6 Volts when I plugged in the power. Previously, the coach could not sit for more than 8 hours without the battery voltage dropping to 12.0 volts. When I checked the batteries I removed, two batteries measured 80% available, the remaining six were from 50% to dead.

It was time for new batteries.

Hector

Hector,

What about monitoring the new magnums? Could you use any of the hardware/wiring from the old inverters or did you need to replace all of that as well?

Once again, great job on the upgrade, and thanks for taking the time to document with pictures!

sawdust_128 Guest

Hey Hector,

That is a great looking job. One question. Did you use any kind of a special paint for the battery cage? I was toying with the idea of pulling my batteries, cleaning the holding area and spraying it down with either truck bed liner or undercoating.

I had some second thoughts about this because I could easily see that increasing the friction to make sliding batteries around nearly impossible.

Any thoughts greatly appreciated?

Default A Clean Retro

A nice project. How about the monitors inside the coach. Did you replace the monitors and the wiring to them.
    Isn't it just like an inspector to show up after all of the work is done.
    Good job.
    Gary & Lise Deinhard, 2003 Elegant Lady Liberty, Dbl slide