Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Where to get this stuff?

sawdust_128 Guest

O.K. curiousity now has the best of me. Tom, what made it so difficult? Maybe I should bring two or three dammit tools.

This goes back 3 - 4 years, but what I remember, I had to make a deep socket tool that would hold the bolt straight. I believe there was a recessed hole the socket and bolt had to go in from the bottom and there was no way to keep the bolt straight to get is started. I think I filled the socket with styrofoam or something to support it. Plus I needed a 1 foot arm extension! You'll get er done, but there may be a tad of pain.

Jon?

sawdust_128 Guest

So it's the usual problem with these coaches. Everything on it is reachable if your arms are 6 inches longer than those which God gave you.

I don't remember the details either but as Tom said it was a PITA aiming the bolt that goes into the base of the bellows into the threaded hole.

Unless the H3 uses a different design. The rivet XL design was a knuckle scraper.

Southern Pines, NC (next door to Pinehurst)

Default Air vs. Arm

Hey Wood Chips,

Mine has the old "armstrong" adjusters for belt tensioning. Did you ever consider "dumping" the air system and going back to the manual system? I know then your "stock" length arms will do the job and you won't have to buy those six new "dammit" tools to carry around with you.

Seriously, I hope all works out in your repair. If you need some longer arms I can make a run up the road tomorrow as it is a national holiday. Just let me know where I need to come.

Will

sawdust_128 Guest

Hey there Will. That would be great but I think we should wait until I get some parts. What say you?

We could have a micro rally in the street in front of my house. Heck, my neighbors would show up with food and beer just to be able to tour the coaches. They are funny folks. We might be able to snag deserts if we let their little kids sit in the driver's seat. Maybe some banana pudding.

I down sized so I now only have three dammit tools. Got one of each Sears Craftmen, 1. good, 1. better and 1. best. With a lifetime warranty.
    Last edited by sawdust_128; 01-17-2010 at 12:39 PM.

sawdust_128 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by lonesome george View Post
    Ed, the air bag is a Firestone 1M1A, I think the price from Prevost is going to be hard to top $26.73 last May.

Can you find the manufactures name or a part number on the regulator? You might be able to save a buck or two on that.

FYI update:

The air bladder is actually a Goodyear Super Cushion Mini Lobe Part number 1S3-013. These may be different on the H3. They are 3" air bladders. Looking at the catbase specs, some coaches use 4" bladders at some of these locations. I did not cross reference to your Firestone specification.

The regulator is a Williams Controls Part Number WM-279-E1. For those who are interested, there is a repair kit for these it is repair kit 114224 from Williams. Most other parts for these are available.

lonesome george Guest

Default In the Bag.

I got it wrong on this one, Ed. Prevost does use Goodyear bags. The Firestone is a compatable part. I got confused, I know you will find that hard to believe, we use both manufactures bags on some transfer equipment we build. I got the 1M1A from a Prevost invoice and I thought that was the Firestone part number. We use what ever ones we can get our hands on. The only difference I can see is the Goodyear has a metal stem and the Firestone has a plastic one.
    I stand ready to take whatever punishment you deem necessary for this infraction.

Default Improvising at its peak.

Woodflakes:

As I recall when I changed mine, the use of chewing gum inside the deep well socket was the key to success.

And you thought McGuyver was good.
    Roger that!
    2008 Liberty DS XL2
    2023 Denali Ultimate
    My 6th Prevost

Lightbulb

A little trick would also be to use a socket head cap screw.

You know, stick it on an hex wrench/Allen wrench, aim it where you want and go to town.

JIM
    Last edited by JIM CHALOUPKA; 01-23-2010 at 08:58 PM.