Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Help! Allison transmission control problem!

You are a hot prospect for a trailer, Michael.
    You have too much stuff.

JIM

Also, keep in mind that Michelin has two different weight charts, one used for trucks and one used for RV's.

The weight ratings are actually the same, except that the truck chart lists total axle weights where the RV chart uses "corner" weights.

I guess they figure RV drivers are more likely to have each tire (or pair of duals) weighed as opposed to truckers who usually only have axle weight information from truck scales. I would also guess that most trucks are more evenly loaded that the typical bus used as an RV.

If you have individual weights for your front tires, take the highest weight and use it for your pressure settings on both sides. The same applies to the rest of the axles.
    Last edited by phorner; 01-17-2010 at 07:58 AM.

From Tom's post I just remembered the golf cart in the bay.

Start your weight reduction program there. Lose it.

Prevost and the converters are usually way too nice when they are put in the middle by customers that want everything but the kitchen sink in these buses, but the reality is they are built to a certain set of limitations and yours is one that exceeds those.

Every component is sized to handle the limits. Everything from brake surface area to air bag size to bearing capacity to wheels and to tires. Apart from the obvious revenue source most states have scales to keep truckers at or below their weight limits for the safety of the trucker and the other drivers on the road. Our buses are lousy when it comes to stopping and every pound makes a bad situation worse. When within the limits it takes us almost 3 times as long to stop from a given speed as a car traveling the same speed. Some car that gets rearended may have the golf cart to thank for that and the lawyer representing the family in the lawsuit may have the golf cart to thank for his contingency fee.

Quote Originally Posted by Kenneth Brewer View Post
    "On tire inflation table. are the weights listed per wheel or per axle? In other words, do I need to divide the numbers by two (for the steer axle and tag axle) and by four (for the drive axle) to get the weight per tire? I'm confuzzled!"

The answer is yes; divide the axle weight you have in actuality by the number of tires on it. And in the case of the drive axle, you need to compare the result against the tire spec for duals, as the weight allowance for a tire mounted as one of a dual is less than as a single. I guess I saw these post thread later on, as I don't see where you state the exact tire model (and make, which I assume is Michelin), size, and rim diameter (I am sure in this case the rim diameter would be 22.5); be sure of what you have, XTA, XZA, XZA-1, and so on, and the size, all exactly as noted on the tire, when you consult the tire table.

If I have mistated anything here, I'm sure be corrected, so watch this thread. Good luck and I hope you can resolve things.
    Okay - Using the axle weights from the weigh ticket, here's what I come up with. I'm asking you guys who actually know and understand this stuff to tell me if I'm on the right track to solving this issue.

• Steer axle weight = 15,340 lbs - divided by 2 yields 7,670 lbs at each tire
    • Drive axle weight = 19,580 - divided by 4 yields 4,895 lbs at each tire
    • Tag axle weight = 15,060 - divided by 2 yields 7,530 lbs at each tire

Now, on Firestone's inflation table for my FS400 tires - Firestone Truck Tire Inflation Tables, I get the following approximate values:

• Steer tire inflation closest match is 7.610 lbs = 120 psi recommended
    • Drive tire inflation closest match is (Dual) 5,675 lbs at 80 psi recommended (that is the lowest weight on chart)
    • Tag tire inflation closest match is (Single) 7,610 lbs at 120 psi

Something doesn't seem right on the drive axle conversion. It has four tires, of course, but am I correct in dividing the drive axle weight from the weigh ticket by four to get the approximate load per tire to find the correct approximate weight on each tire to look up the recommended psi on the load table/inflation chart?

I promise to have Vita read your responses to insure comprehension! (Brain damage ain't for the weak!)
    Last edited by michaeldterry; 01-17-2010 at 05:10 PM. Reason: Because I'm brain damaged...

Quote Originally Posted by JIM CHALOUPKA View Post
    You are a hot prospect for a trailer, Michael.
    You have too much stuff.

JIM
    Jim - I would actually consider that (I drove an Eagle entertainer coach for years while I was still in the music business pulling an 18 ft dual axle equipment trailer), but I'm already pulling a toad and I don't want to be mistaken for a train!

Last edited by Alek&Lucia; 01-17-2010 at 12:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by michaeldterry View Post
    Jim - I would actually consider that (I drove an Eagle entertainer coach for years while I was still in the music business pulling an 18 ft dual axle equipment trailer), but I'm already pulling a toad and I don't want to be mistaken for a train!

Michael, now you are pulling our chain. Are you suggesting the drivers of entertainer coaches did not have to air up their tires?

Jim C is also pulling your chain. If you get a trailer we all know you will fill the trailer and your bays and the problem you have now will just get worse.

My shifter lever problem was caused by water getting by my driver side window during washing. It killed the whole shifter pad unit. I was able to get a re-built unit through the Detroit Diesel shop in West Sacramento Parts. They got it from Minn. or Wisc. Sorry I did not get their source. It saved me a lot of $$ over the $600,00 new price. Our present bus has a tighter fitting window.
    Harry

Shirley & Harry / 2000 Liberty / 2008 GMC Envoy Denali

Hi Michael. Regarding tire inflation, I keep mine above the recommended charts. I use the Michelin chart.

http://www.michelinrvtires.com/miche...ion-tables.jsp
    Gary & Lise Deinhard, 2003 Elegant Lady Liberty, Dbl slide

Quote Originally Posted by garyde View Post
    Hi Michael. Regarding tire inflation, I keep mine above the recommended charts. I use the Michelin chart.

http://www.michelinrvtires.com/miche...ion-tables.jsp
    Gary - I get the whole "inflating a few lbs more than the chart" thing - makes sense. I'm still struggling with making sure I'm reading the charts right and how to compare my axle weight numbers from the weigh ticket to make sure I'm comparing "apples to apples" (dividing axle weight numbers by 2 or 4 depending on which axle to get indivual tire weight numbers?).

Also, I'm going to take Steve Bennett's recommendation and get the bus re-weighed at a different scale on the way home tomorrow to validate the weight numbers I have now. I'll do it in two passes - once by individual axle and next weighing the bus in total.