Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Help! Allison transmission control problem!

Quote Originally Posted by merle&louise View Post
    Michael,

The same thing happened to me about 2 years ago. I found that pressing down firmly and rolling my finger around on the "D" would get it to work. It did this 4 or 5 more times so I started looking for a new selector pad on eBay. They were expensive if I remember correctly, about $600 so I just kept looking trying to find one at a good price.

After a month of looking on eBay the problem disappeared! It has been 2 years and the selector has worked flawlessly! Go figure!

Hope rolling your finger on the "D" helps. Just keep messing with it, and it should work.
    Tuga - while trying to get it to shift today, I pressed the pad every way and from every angle I could think of, including "rolling" my finger on the pad while pressing firmly. I'm going to try again in the morning! Wish me luck!

Michael,

Try the following link from the Prevost online Technical manuals site for transmissions. It has the procedure for pulling up codes on your shift pad. Also has some trouble shooting info and references to other technical documents that may be of help.

http://prevostparts.volvo.com/techni.../pa1082-07.pdf

Ken Z has had a similar problem at times. I believe it to be related to cold. I hope I am not misspeaking here, but I think it generally clears after things get warmed up.

Ray

Quote Originally Posted by GDeen View Post
    Michael,

Try the following link from the Prevost online Technical manuals site for transmissions. It has the procedure for pulling up codes on your shift pad. Also has some trouble shooting info and references to other technical documents that may be of help.

http://prevostparts.volvo.com/techni.../pa1082-07.pdf
    Thanks Gordon! I'm printing the pages at the link you posted right now (32 of them) and am taking them to the bus this morning for reference! Man, I love POG! It's worth every penny of the $500 annual dues that Skiffer charges me!

Quote Originally Posted by Ray Davis View Post
    Ken Z has had a similar problem at times. I believe it to be related to cold. I hope I am not misspeaking here, but I think it generally clears after things get warmed up.

Ray
    Ray - I desperately hope you are right!

Michael,

Maybe this will help; hope so. Skiff only charges me $400/year

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ALLIS...item35a5b220f7
    Tuga & Karen Gaidry

2012 Honda Pilot

Quote Originally Posted by merle&louise View Post
    Michael,

Maybe this will help; hope so. Skiff only charges me $400/year

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ALLIS...item35a5b220f7
    Thanks Tuga! Actually my keypad unit looks more like this one: Allison Gen IV Push Button Shifter / Pad

I went back to the bus this morning armed with the info from all the responses to this thread so far. Alas - no luck! I called W.W. Williams (a Detroit/Allison service facilty) in Atlanta and the guy there had me put the tranny into the code reading mode and read him what the screen showed. The good news is that there were no active codes. The bad news is that they can't get road service to me until late this afternoon. My guy at Apalachee RV thinks it may be a relay or solenoid (?) but can't help me further without me bringing the bus to him (and of course, it won't move). I'm not ready for a 60 mile tow, so I'll wait on the W.W. Williams road service and keep my fingers crossed!

Montell, Texas....40 miles north of Uvalde which is 80 miles west of San Antonio

We are keeping our fingers crossed too!!

Michael,

How about if you push "R" , roll your bus few feet back, then "N", and cross your fingers and push "D" and perhaps everything start working again.
    Yes, release the Parking Break !

Alek
    Last edited by Alek&Lucia; 01-15-2010 at 02:08 PM.

Lightbulb BUYER BEWARE

Quote Originally Posted by michaeldterry View Post
    Thanks Tuga! Actually my keypad unit looks more like this one: Allison Gen IV Push Button Shifter / Pad

I went back to the bus this morning armed with the info from all the responses to this thread so far. Alas - no luck! I called W.W. Williams (a Detroit/Allison service facilty) in Atlanta and the guy there had me put the tranny into the code reading mode and read him what the screen showed. The good news is that there were no active codes. The bad news is that they can't get road service to me until late this afternoon. My guy at Apalachee RV thinks it may be a relay or solenoid (?) but can't help me further without me bringing the bus to him (and of course, it won't move). I'm not ready for a 60 mile tow, so I'll wait on the W.W. Williams road service and keep my fingers crossed!
    Be cautious and do your homework when buying a part such as this through ebay.

The complete shifter module (the only way Prevost sells them) from Prevo is pt no 571543 $2299.00.

The ebay part no for the keypad is 29541991 with a buy it now price of $145.00.
    That may be a good deal if it fits your shifter and is in fact what is giving you trouble, just be sure it will fit your application.
    IMHO it is very unlikely that the key pad is at fault.

Also good for everyone reading this to remember that someone of us in POG had the unfortunate experience of getting their shifter module wet by allowing wash water to enter the slide window and soak the pad thereby causing it's untimely demise.