Thread: I-95 in Georgia

Default I-95 in Georgia

Both north and south bound I-95 for 30 miles north of Brunswick, Ga is under construction. I would not want to drive this section at night in bad weather. Some of the lane markings can be hard to see. I just drove it in daylight in the rain and it was not fun. It would not be easy to avoid this section, just try to drive it in daylight.

Orren Zook Guest

Also, in these construction areas be sure to move to the passing lane when advised... the right lanes narrow dramatically and you'll have the opportunity to scrub your expensive Ramco mirror off the right side of your coach on the concrete bridge pillars.

sawdust_128 Guest

This has been going on for over a year. Jump east and take the 17 to bypass the construction. They say they have two lanes on 95, but they must be for go-karts.

Default I95 Georgia

Planning a trip to Hilton Head and need to use I95. Saw the post about the construction and alternate use of 17. Is 17 2 or 4 lanes and are there many towns ,lights etc.to stop at? We were that way previously but not so bad on a Sunday with little truck traffic but really designed for go carts! We are coming from the South. Thanks! W

Orren Zook Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Willis Michell View Post
    Planning a trip to Hilton Head and need to use I95. Saw the post about the construction and alternate use of 17. Is 17 2 or 4 lanes and are there many towns ,lights etc.to stop at? We were that way previously but not so bad on a Sunday with little truck traffic but really designed for go carts! We are coming from the South. Thanks! W
    We traveled I-95 north from Jacksonville and stopped at HHI four weeks ago, there is construction for about 30 miles in both north and south bound lanes from the GA/FL border. The right lanes narrowed dramatically to less than DOT legal widths when passing under bridge overpasses, but the passing lane presented no problems. Signs are posted recommending trucks and buses use the left lane. I don't think you'll have a problem - we didn't. Watch out for the race fans heading north next week.

I have just returned from Florida yesterday and used I 95, yes there is construction both directions but traffic moves through 65 or 70 no problems. Good luck!

sawdust_128 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Willis Michell View Post

A lot of 17 is 2 lane, but mostly straight and not heavy with traffic. There are a couple of small towns you pass through (Eulonia is one), but nothing to fret about. It is a nice, comfortable drive and for me it beats the uncertainty of what you will find on 95 in that stretch.

A good part of it is either a scenic drive or some type of historical trail route. Also, Somewhere in the Richmond DIll area you want to think about getting back on 95. I think there you are at the end of the construction. Or, at least you were the last time I went through.

Thanks for the reply..I will take the kinder route and keep my mirrors! W

Drove it south bound yesterday 3/18/2011, north bound looked good, south bound 3 lanes wide all open, best road from northern states Md,Va,Nc,Sc.