Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: POG 9 Buckhorn Lake Kerrville

ya what Andre said. I enjoyed getting a little educated.

Hi everyone,

Speaking of dates, is there a reason we are having the "national" rallies the second week of October for two years in a row? Not that Bob and I have been able to make the past couple (we would have liked to, we miss ya'll) but the second week in October is always going to be a conflict for me. What happened to our Spring rallies? Kerrville was great the end of April? Just curious

Debi

We're having a scheduling conflict also. We really enjoyed the POG rally in OKC but have tentative plans for the first two weeks of October. Not sure how this will all work out but we hate to miss either event.

Bonnie

Sealy, Texas (50 miles west of Houston on I-10)

Pete & E.J. are in. We think Buckhorn in Kerrville is a great place for a rally.
    The staff at Buckhorn understand what it takes to accommodate a group, such as ours. It is one of our favorite places.

Pete & EJ Petree
    2001 Prevost Featherlite Vantare
    2008 Ford Explorer Sport Trac 4x4
    Sealy, Texas

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Wehrenberg View Post
    I think the demographics of the attendees will define the agenda.

POG started out from the git-go as a group of owners who wanted to learn as much as possible about their coaches. I suspect a lot of the newer owners are POG members because they meet that description.

In our inventory of seminars which have been put on over the years we have ranged from basic brake operation all the way up to complex systems such as Hector's suspension program and Mango's Webasto program.

We have put on seminars at rallies attended by very few coaches and at rallies attended by many coaches. I don't know the best way to discern what rally attendees are looking for but while I certainly would enjoy a rally biased towards fun stuff I think we who have put on or attended seminars need to consider those still involved in the learning process.

I have been trying to get this to happen for a while, but I think we are at the point where if the attendance is high enough we should encourage the converters to have converter specific seminars. Perhaps set aside one day and have the experts who built the coaches teach about their electrical systems, their recommended house maintenance schedule, their plumbing systems, heating systems, etc. I feel strongly about this because each conversion has unique features and systems and the owners of those conversions need to understand them. We are finding this out thanks to Ed because he is explaining how Vantare for example has a unique electric distribution system via the inverters. This is critical stuff for owners to know.
    This....and the other seminars. I will pay my money and even ensure I am in attendance this time.

Many of us have lots to learn about our coaches and a nice mix of seminars and socializing would be great.

Count me in. Although my attendance may be a deterent to others attending. Hey Patrick and Sherry try to stay a little longer this time.

Loc - 2008 Marathon XLII - Houston

In speaking with Jim Skiff this morning, I mentioned the potential to attend a show at the Rock Box theater in Fredricksburg. I haven't attended a show, but have heard great things about it. They do shows on Thursday, Friday, Saturday and Sunday nights and Sunday afternoon.

Take a look at the website (there are clips of their shows). Here is the website http://www.rockboxtheater.com/ If there is interest we can get a group price.

Loc - 2008 Marathon XLII - Houston

A couple of thoughts for future rallies, as I assume this has been pretty much cast in stone already.

For those of us that still work full time there are a couple of things with the current type of scheduling which cause problems. I for example would like to minimize the days, while maximizing content.

For me, it would be best to travel on a weekend, and let the rallies start on Monday. I can generally take off in the afternoon on Friday, and by Sunday I can generally be anywhere in the middle of the country.

Starting on Friday means that I travel using vacation time, rather than weekend time. Or, I travel on previous weekend, and again use vacation sitting in rally location, prior to the rally.

Don't put free days IN the rally. Keep the rally itself compact, and activities every day. For those that want free time, they can come before, or after, and do the the free-time things.

By scheduling 1 or 2 days off in the middle of the rally, again I am using vacation time for that.

I know my situation may be unique, but the current mode of scheduling on Friday through the following Thursday, with free time inside causes me to have to take two weeks of vacation to attend. (I only get three per year)

If rallies started on Monday, ended Friday night (and didn't have dead space in the middle), I could use weekends to travel to and from the rally, and would only end up taking a single week of vacation.

Just food for thought.

Ray

I agree with Ray's comments. Week days are also the best time to attempt to reserve large groups of lots in RV Parks, as many fill up on weekends, with many vacancies during the week. Some day I'll be retired, least that's what I keep telling myself....

I, too, agree with Ray's suggestions. While it doesn't affect me personally, it does affect my "co-pilot" (the bosswoman) - at least until we win big in the lottery and I can talk her into quitting that pesky job thing that provides a significant portion of our income.
    Last edited by michaeldterry; 01-13-2010 at 09:02 PM.