Thread: I-59

Default I-59

"We were on I-59 north of Birmingham and that road sucks. It is a constant thumpity-thump."

Thank you, Jon, for the post and, in particular, the report on that road. I was planning on taking that road. Any other bad roads in the country that anyone would advise against, please let me/us know. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Kenneth Brewer View Post
    Any other bad roads in the country that anyone would advise against, please let me/us know. Thanks.
    It may be appropriate to have a separate thread for bad roads or for bad sections of roads.

There are several roads that we have traveled that have had very bad sections to an otherwise good road and it would have been great to know in advance so we could slow down. GPS coordinates would be better than descriptions.

Ken,

I would not avoid that road if it made sense. However, to minimize the thumpity thump just hog the fast lane. The problem with the road lies about half way between Birmingham (heading northbound) and about 3/4 of the way from Birmingham. It is on both sides, north and southbound.

Default Hwy 247, Barstow Rd, just North of Lucerne Valley

Hwy 247 is very good except a short section just North of the stop sign at Lucerne Valley. Lots of, what seems like, frost heaves which, if you're going fast, almost gets the front end airborne.

The address for the GPS is approximately 12212 Barstow Road, Lucerne Valley, CA.

Otherwise, great road, very scenic.

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Wehrenberg View Post
    Ken,

I would not avoid that road if it made sense. However, to minimize the thumpity thump just hog the fast lane.
    Jon is right. I've driven that road 30 or 40 times. Hog that left lane. Everybody does and they'll pass you on the right. It's not a very busy interstate.

Eric Faires
    Huntsville, TN

Default Dittto I 59

I- 59 is so ruff (that means the same as rough) the last time I turned east at Montgomery to Atlanta and took I-75 North to Chattanooga/Knoxville.

Much better- not a lot of time difference as it was on a Sunday and Atlanta traffic was not an issue. I may have driven at speeds exceeding 63 or 64 mph.
    Roger that!
    2008 Liberty DS XL2
    2023 Denali Ultimate
    My 6th Prevost

Ken,

I-59 north of B-ham is a washboard. The key is to stay in the left lane as much as possible. It reminds me of what I-10 in Lousiana was like before it was repaved although I-10 was much worse. I-20 around Talledega (between B-Ham and Atlanta) is also bad.

Loc - 2008 Marathon XLII - Houston

Quote Originally Posted by Loc View Post
    Ken,

I-59 north of B-ham is a washboard. The key is to stay in the left lane as much as possible. It reminds me of what I-10 in Lousiana was like before it was repaved although I-10 was much worse. I-20 around Talledega (between B-Ham and Atlanta) is also bad.
    Both of those roads have been bad since I lived in B'ham in 1974-76! You'd think they would have smoothed them out in the last 35+ years!
    Last edited by michaeldterry; 01-13-2010 at 02:38 PM.