Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Heated Mirrors-Short

Default Heated Mirrors-Short

I noticed my heated mirror switch was on when I went to start the Coach last week. The Coach would not start, and the batteries read 11.5 volts at the Pro Driver display. So, I turned on the charger and let them charge for an hour while I had breakfast.
    Came back, turned the key switch to the on position, and the battery voltage had not changed a bit. I looked down and notice the heated mirror switch was on,turned it off, and the voltage immediately went up and the engine started no problem.
    So, it seems like I have a short in one of the mirrors, or one of the heaters is shorting out.
    I have noticed with the key off my coach batteries were not holding a charge very well, so I'm wondering if there might be a direct short somehow that by passes the mirror heater switch and the ignition switch .
    Another mirror issue is my drivers side convex mirror suddenly has a life of its own and will tilt downward without toggling the switch.
    Gary & Lise Deinhard, 2003 Elegant Lady Liberty, Dbl slide

Gee Gary, sounds like you need an electrician to check it out.
    Dancing mirrors wow don't let that out everyone will want them.
    There's no end to the little goodies Liberty offers.
    Harry

Shirley & Harry / 2000 Liberty / 2008 GMC Envoy Denali

Default Mirrors

Believe it or not , mirrors are held in with Velcro! I had one fall out.
    Danss 1999 Vogue, 03 Chev. Trailblazer

Sounds like you might have a short in the mirror adjustment switch, maybe a mouse nibble

Next thing you know they will start smoking. It's smoke and mirrors.

Loc - 2008 Marathon XLII - Houston

Gary,

You would think the mirror heat would run off the ignition circuit. Almost sounds like they're wired hot all the time. There's probably a relay involved somewhere, but you would think the fused circuit would have shut it all down. I would start with the wiring diagram, but yours being a newer bus, it may take a call to Liberty. If the heating element was shorted out, the fuse should have killed it.

I haven't looked at a wiring diagram recently so this is a guess, but at one time the heated mirrors would not work unless the bus heat was also turned on. The short or large current draw may not be in the mirror itself, but in the circuit relating to the OTR heat circuitry.

Just a guess with zero basis in fact.

I have been waiting on this one to show up, but I think we may want to gauge any interest in a mirror session at POG 9. While some of these may indeed be Velcroed in place, I watched one of the Prevost technicians replace one of the servos that adjust the mirror (I have a mirror that shakes sometimes which is a symptom of servo failure) and he had to slip a hacksaw blade in behind the mirror and cut thru the adhesive (looks like that stuff they use on the windows) to free the mirror and expose the servo.

While I don't think it is extremely hard to do, it had a couple of "Indian Tricks" that are necessary to get it done. I would be interested in seeing one of the Velcroed ones removed and what's behind it.

Good idea JDUB.... a missing or mis-aligned mirror may not shut you down, but it sure makes for a miserable drive.

I've seen mirrors attached by a type of mastic but not velcro, although the industrial velcro sounds like a great application.

Default Velcro mirrors

There is a flat piece that is glued to another flat surface that moves electrically and the mirror is velcroed to the outer piece.
    Danss 1999 Vogue, 03 Chev. Trailblazer