Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: AV challenged

dmills Guest

Default AV challenged

Troubles with Panasonic DVD on my 2000 Featherlite. The model is DVD A110. Skips and stops. I want to replace it with one that is compatable with the AV entertainment stack in the stateroom. I need it to fit in the cabinet and work with the two tv's and the Bose Lifestyle surround. Any help?

Now this is strange. I just had the same thing happen in our coach with the same player. In fact, it wouldn't even read the menu or start the DVD in the end.

We will be replacing it shortly. I will follow up when I figure it out.

JW

dmills Guest

I began my search to replace the DVD with the same model, so as to "plug n play". I have discovered this model is characteristic of this symptom. It stops and skips. The concern is something compatable, will fit isn the entertainment cabinet, and wont add another remote. You also need to find a player with two pin jacks for two tv's. I would also like to find a stackable dvd and one that is "roadable". I have tried to get Featherlite in on it but so far I have not solved this. Panasonic is of no help with a replacement. Any help would be welcomed.

dmills,

This is a tough one as you will probably not be able to find another unit that is the same size as the old DVD player. Look at Circuit City or Best Buy and you'll see they are all different sizes and shapes and they change every month or so. Find a name brand, check on line for product reviews and figure out a way to mount it in the old space.

On my unit, a combo VCR/DVD player, I use the S/video out to feed the television closest to the player, and send the RF output (channel 3 or 4) on a coax to the "selector switch-VCR input" which will send it to the other tv's located in and out of the coach. Not as high quality a picture as the S/Video, but it works.

For remote control, we use a "Harmony 880" (i believe thats the model) which is a universal programmable remote that will control numerous devices. its is easy to program from your home computer or laptop, and will control the DVD player, satellite (Tivo/Direct TV unit) amplifier, satellite radio (XM) and television without problem. I keep the old remotes handy for emergencies, but we seldom have to use anything else.

Hope this helps.

MIke K

Mike K,

I would like to add some of those small 7" LCD monitors around the bus. Can your recommend a brand or dealer. Also have you had any luck w/ the remote RF cable hookup to send the cable signal remotely?

Thanks
    Mike

ken&ellen Guest

Default Radio shack

Mango, Do not mean to jump in here, but Radio Shack has that unit for $49. It works great outside the coach to switch the Direct TV box in the salon. Ken

dmills Guest

Good information. The connections are a nightmare. I am running the dvd and vcr from separate players. I also have a Bose surround (separate nightmare that I also just replaced), sub woofer under bed with a satellite. I am running two tv's (bedroom-stateroom) and a bay entertainment tv. All the tv's have switch boxes so they can all watch what they want. You're right with the size/shape issue. I have found other brands with closer sizes but they do not have two pin jacks that my present player has. Can I get a different brand to run on the remote you suggest? Also, can I run one tv on a s-video jack and one tv on a pin jack (connected to the dvd player) and have this work? Re-cabling scares the juice out of me.

MangoM,

I've little experience with the small LCD units. I know they vary greatly in brightness and viewing angle. Many units will require you to be almost directly in front of them in order to see the image, others have a wide viewing angle. Something to check on specs when buying. Problem, as always, is getting the signal to them. Running wires around inside these units is "tough".

I've not been a fan of the remote transmitters that send the remote control signals over the coax (cable). On our bus, it produced a small "noise" line that rolled through the picture and was less than satisfactory. Old technology. I believe we will see the new conversions with separate sat. receivers and amplifiers for each television, sending satellite feed, cable and off air signals to each television station. With HD and surround sound, thats what works best. Who wants a million dollar coach with a snowy tv picture.

Mike K

dmills,

The Harmony remote will work with "almost" any brand or device type.

Important to remember that in a few (two) years, HDTV will be the standard and you may want to change out your televisions soon to HD units. DVDs are also now being produced in HD, which requires a different player and cabling to the TV, so you may wish to plan on a separate DVD player at each TV location and if you use satellite TV, a separate satellite receiver at each television. That will allow the best cabling options to the television from the receiver and also to the sound system for that television. Most true surround sound requires digital (fiber optic cable) signals from the satellite receiver to the amplifier or surround system.

We have three TVs with three satellite receivers (all TIVO direct TV units) and one surround sound system in the main salon. All TV's are LCD HD units but only the salon unit has a HDTV satellite receiver. This allows the best cabling options from the receivers to the televisions and surround system (for best quality picture and sound) and also lets each TV operate independent of each other. Great when the grand kids want to watch different programs.

Buy doing it this way, you use the existing coax cable to feed the signal from the satellite dish to the areas where the televisions and receivers are located. Some day this will all be done with wireless transmissions (like WIFI), but for now, this seems to be the best and most economical way for me.

confused yet, my wife is!

Mike K

Default No Entertainment Center in your Prevost?

Put it in your Toad!
    Attached Images Attached Images