Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Hotlanta - Not

We actually had a light frost the last couple of nights here in Port Saint Lucie.

That's just not right al all!

Ok, being a bit of a newbee with little experience in dealing with these buses in freezing weather I've got what may be a dumb question which I'll ask under the premise that there are no dumb questions. I have my bus in a storage facility that has no source for heat. Its a large facility holding maybe a couple hundred or more RV's and boats. What is the best way to keep anything from freezing ie: leave water heaters on? run the wabasco inside the storage facility for three days? space heaters? hope for the best and do nothing?

This 75 degrees every day here in Indio, CA gets kinda boring.

Quote Originally Posted by pwf252 View Post
    Ok, being a bit of a newbee with little experience in dealing with these buses in freezing weather I've got what may be a dumb question which I'll ask under the premise that there are no dumb questions. I have my bus in a storage facility that has no source for heat. Its a large facility holding maybe a couple hundred or more RV's and boats. What is the best way to keep anything from freezing ie: leave water heaters on? run the wabasco inside the storage facility for three days? space heaters? hope for the best and do nothing?
    Running the Webasco inside a building may not be the best option, however if you are outside it should be ok. Depending on your electrical service you could run the 120V heaters. The bay heat should keep the water bay from freezing as long as you don't have substained very cold weather. The best option may be to winterize the water systems.

Patrick,

Assuming you have power, your CC should have an electric bay heater controlled by a thermostat. Do not run your Webasto inside the building. See what kind of temperatures are in the building before being concerned. I'm good with nothing as long as the temps don't get into the low 20's.

Quote Originally Posted by pwf252 View Post
    Patrick, do you have electricity available to you at your storage site and you should, as the best long term storage is when plugged in.

OK then, plug in and turn your bay heaters on to keep above freezing and set your living area toe space heaters to around 50 F and set the hot water tank on, for a minimum degree of protection.

You can supplement heat in specific areas of your choosing with the small cube heaters such as sold at Walmart or other similar stores.

I would not run the Webasto indoors because of the CO hazzard. Management would frown on that practice as well and ....

Thanks all for the responses. I wasn't aware that I had bay heat. I will try to determine if its on, along with leaving the water heaters on. I apologize for taking the easy route and asking these questions verses reading the manuals. I will alot some time from my schedule to study them more intently. Thanks again.

It all comes together after a period of time. We know you read the manuals, but sharing methods and experiences is also a good method, especially at the time when immediate correct action is necessary. Ask all the questions you want. If you don't get an answer ask again and again interspersed with high anxiety and worry.

I view it this way. By reading the manual, only you would have learned how to handle your situation. Now because of your post, 300 people reading this thread may have learned something as well.

Ray

Patrick,

You may or may not have bay heaters. My 99 CC does not have electric bay heaters. The manual says use the hydronic heat or drain the pipes to ensure the bays don't freeze.

It has been really cold here for the last week, and I turned on my Webasto a couple times to make sure it working, but all I am really using is a space heater inside the bus set to the low setting (800 watts) and a 100Watt light bulb in the plumbing bay. This is the procedure I have always used, and it worked great in Yellowstone for two seasons and has always worked here. When it is 20 outside, the bus is usually 55-60 degrees inside, and the bay is well above freezing.

Of course, the manual says if you are going to leave the bus unattended in cold weather, you should drain the water from the systems. I fill my fresh water tank almost full, and use the procedure above. Maybe you have the bay heaters, but I would verify it before I depended on them. I had them in my Marathon, but I never trusted leaving the bus unattended with water in the system and depending on the bay heaters. I always assumed the power could go off or a breaker could trip, and I would have frozen pipes.

Because my bus barn was an add-on of an existing building, it is not insulated, but I just bought insulation last week, so I can do it before summer. I am much more concerned about the heat than the cold, but I understand cold is a real problem for most people. As Jon has mentioned, I also have the service pit that helps moderate the temperature.
    Last edited by dale farley; 01-07-2010 at 12:02 PM.
    Dale & Paulette

"God Loves you and has a plan for your life!