Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Hotlanta - Not

Default Hotlanta - Not

Yikes, 18 this morning in NW Georgia and high in the 20's. Temperature in my insulated bus barn is 29. Got the floor heat on and the water heater keeps the plumbing bay toasty and that takes care of all the water worries. Even if you have a garage or barn, check on your temps to prevent freezing.

Michael - Be sure to have bay heat and some cabin heat going on Evangeline if your in town..

IMG_3249_1.JPG

Whine, whine whine.

Up here in the frozen north it was 10 degrees this AM. Inside the casa del grease pit it is a balmy (by comparison) 49 with the furnace off.

Tomorrow we head south with Di's sister for a mini vacation and it looks like we will never get higher than the 50s, with two days in the 40s. But I can ride my bike or wash the coach or grill some burgers without standing in the 20s or 30s that are forecast for Knoxville.

Yesterday when congratulating our grandson on his 18th birthday he shared with us that the snow was blowing sideways, was 18" to 24" deep and he couldn't see the end of the driveway it was coming down so heavy. It was in the teens then and promising to get real cold.

So what's so bad about morning temps in the 20s?

Quote Originally Posted by truk4u View Post
    Michael - Be sure to have bay heat and some cabin heat going on Evangeline if your in town..

IMG_3249_1.JPG
    Tom - thanks for the heads up! We are, in fact in Woodstock, freezing our butts off (that's saying a lot for me as I'm the most hot natured person I know - I usually can't sleep under the covers - I sleep on top - but I've been under the covers and had them pulled up to my neck for the last two nights!). Our next bus outing is not until January 15-18th - quick trip up to Chattanooga, so I'll be sure to watch the temps between now and then!

By the way Tom - I'm still looking for covered or inside space for Evangeline with at least some power. Please let me know if your friend or anyone else you know has any covered/inside spaces open!

Tom,

I can't have too much sympathy for you. I live in Florida (the Sunshine Stae), and it was 24 this morning and hasn't been too much warmer since. Supposed to be in the teens tomorrow night. Of course, that sounds warm to those in the upper mid-western states.
    Dale & Paulette

"God Loves you and has a plan for your life!

henryhighwood Guest

I envy you guys in those balmy climates
    Attached Images Attached Images

Ted,

Where in ILLINOIS are you ?
    I'm 2 hr SW of Chicago and the coldest was "only" -1 F overnight

Alek

parksincpp Guest

My niece lives in Rochester, NY. She said it was -5 with the wind shield factor. She escaped to Costa Rica today to thaw out.

We were in Tulsa last night. Twelve degrees this morning but the coach was warm and nice. The generator kicked on around midnight after being on the invertors since we parked around three in the afternoon. I don't like it (cold weather) but the bus does just fine.

Default More headed your way

The forecast in west central Texas said that after tomorrow, we will not see temps above freezing for the next three days. That probably means really cold for you guys east of us, Jon, Eric, Michael, etc. Pull those covers up.

We are headed Dale's way in March and cannot wait. I am hoping that it is warm and balmy in Perdido cove in about 75 days. I am already ready.
    Tony and Jenny Conder
    Abilene, Texas
    - - - - - - - - - - -
    2008 Marathon D/S XLII
    2017 RAM 1500 4x4

Good thing we got global warming going on or it would really be cold.

Winter of 2009-2010 Could Be Worst in 25 Years
    Posted 2010-01-04
    Nearly the entire eastern half of the United States is enduring bitterly cold temperatures not experienced since 1985. Even Florida, which has been hovering around freezing le
    By Jon Auciello
    AccuWeather.comNearly the entire eastern half of the United States is enduring bitterly cold temperatures not experienced since 1985. Even Florida, which has been hovering around freezing levels overnight recently, is also feeling the almost-nationwide chill.

"It'll be like the great winters of the '60s and '70s," said AccuWeather.com Chief Meteorologist and Expert Long Range Forecaster Joe Bastardi.

The last time a large swath of severely low temperatures struck the nation was in January 1985. That historic arctic outbreak had below-zero temperatures Fahrenheit stretching from Chicago eastward to New York City, and all the way south to Macon, Ga.

While Bastardi says the upcoming days will bring cold not seen since 1985 or 1982, he believes this winter is shaping up much that of like 1977-78. That winter, nearly all of the United States east of the Rockies had a cold October followed by a warm November, with the cold returning in December.

What is most interesting in this case is what followed, where the months from January through March can all be classified as very cold, relative to normal.

"If it stays this cold for this long, will the groundhog even want to come out on Feb. 2?" wonders Senior Vice President and Chief Meteorologist Elliot Abrams.

This winter has already been rough for many areas of the country, with several blizzards dumping high accumulations of snow upon the Plains, mid-Atlantic and New England.

The cold air currently streaming across the Upper Midwest into the East and South will only compound the winter problems of the nation, especially since these depths have not been experienced across such a wide area simultaneously in decades.

Over the past 20-plus years, when below-normal cold periods have arrived in the winter they tend to have been limited to one region, according to Bastardi.

Temperatures have not been this low since the winter of 2002-03, which is known as the benchmark for frigid conditions in the last decade. However, that year the cold was not as widespread as what is happening now.

With the entire eastern half of the country in the throes of this arctic snap, this is shaping up to be the coldest winter in many people's memories.