Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: JENN AIR ELECTRIC GRILL

Question JENN AIR ELECTRIC GRILL

Thinking about different things and my outdoor grill comes to mind.

It seem to work well enough, but leaves a little to be desired.

It works best in good weather, but when it's raining or the wind is blowing it plain sucks.

Not being the original owner I am wondering, is something missing, like maybe a cover/hood as usually accompanies a propane grill.

Comments?
    Do you have this problem?

Anyone have a cover on their electric grill?

Can't really blame this on Liberty, but they did install it

JIM

Jim,

If your grill is the same kind my buddy has on his Newell it is wide open with no top. About the only thing it is good for is grilling steaks. I like to have a cover on my grill - it justs works better.

A thought might be to have a cover made out of aluminum! It might not be pretty, but it would do the job.
    Tuga & Karen Gaidry

2012 Honda Pilot

I have used mine in very windy conditions but at moderate temperatures and its performance is less than on a calm day. However, if it is set to the highest heat level it does the job, just slightly slower. I imagine if the performance is so compromised on yours on a windy day you could fashion a cover that would be about 2" tall and would sit on the periphery of the grilling area. I would suggest you make it from something like 18 or 20 gauge stainless or aluminum. Although I could probably beg a redhead I know to make one for me in her factory, I also know I could go to Lowes and pick up some sheet metal and extruded aluminum angles that could all be cut and pop riveted together to make a cover.

I grill on mine a lot, but when it is windy I usually do not just because of the usual dust and crud flying around in a camground, especially from drivers that don't know how to slow down.

My long range plan includes makingup or finding a ready made cover.

IMHO, the worst condition for uncovered grilling is rain.

I don't care much for soggy steak

Jim my first thought would be to tell you to move south and stay in better weather. Thats's not practical? Well then think back to the old Coleman Gas Camp Stoves. Do you remember the fold down three sided wind screens. They worked well in all windy weather and cold areas. If you are interested I'll take a look at my Liberty grill and see if adapting the same design with three sides and a top would work. SS of course. Let me know.
    Harry

Shirley & Harry / 2000 Liberty / 2008 GMC Envoy Denali

Yes I do remember the Coleman stove, very practical contraptions. Thanks for the reminder Harry, hold up on it though.

I think I am going to try a full cover to keep the rain off as well. It's also a good idea to cover to retain the heat and cook from the top at the same time as the bottom.

You can think on the topic too if you want and we'll see what we can come up with between us.

Something as simple as the stainless steel domed lid from a restaurant steam table might work, if I could find the right size?

Do you ever use the Jen Air grill?

JIM

Lightbulb

I'm thinking a pan such as these turned upside down with a handle attached might work?

I'm not at the bus, so don't know the size I need. From memory, these seem close!

http://www.webstaurantstore.com/4-de...22STP1004.html

JIM

Hi Jim. The lid sounds like a good idea, it might be you can get it with a vent opening on the top for air circulation.
    Gary & Lise Deinhard, 2003 Elegant Lady Liberty, Dbl slide

jelmore Guest

I use heavy duty foil to tent with. Tuck one edge under the grates, upwind. You can shape it to the right curve to get the heat circulating, easy to peek in or fold back, you can vent it if it needs more air, you can scrub your grate with it when finished and then toss it in the trash. Not very elegant but works for us.

sticks Guest

Haven't used mine yet but looks like you could scorch the paint up the side of your coach without trying. Is that possible? Hopefully one of you guys, smarter than me, can come up with a easy to use hood.