Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: does anyone know # for Dave Matthews atty?

Default does anyone know # for Dave Matthews atty?

So we were pulling into the General Aviaition airport where I occasionally keep the bus, as I rounded the corner to my ramp I decided to impress the people standing around the ramp by illuminating the bus with the exterior side lights.In addition to having two switches mounted by the door I also have two switches by the drivers station that mysteriously have switch covers. I opened the covers and pressed both switches simultaneously and to my chagrin ...no lights (although there was some pointing). Kim exited the bus and immediately came back in and said we have a huge leak of "something" from the bus. I bolted out and sure enough there was a trail of liquiud that followed us onto the ramp and a huge puddle under the bus. While it looked like water I swished my hand around the puddle to make sure it wasnt some kind of mechanical fluid. Nope, just some rancid smelling water. The last something like this happened one of my water filters had worked loose and pumped a bunch of water into the plumbing bay. In any event I popped the plumbing bay and immediately noticed the lights for the grey water bypass and the macerator were illuminated. Apparently the previous owner had remote switches installed at drivers station and labeled "exterior lights" you can figure the rest out...
    Granvil Tracy
    2000 Vantare XLV45, S-2

It wouldn't surprize me if there were not a number of others who have experienced similar stories, some intentional and some accidental. I have three.

One involves an aquaintance who decided a macerator can be used while traveling at interstate speed, and that the contents of the tank could be harmlessly sprayed into the median and possibly fertilize the grass. He found out that a macerator discharge that is located on the driver side at the rear of the bus is in the ideal spot to cover a brand new Jeep Cherokee with the tank contents, including getting it into the cowl openings, the door seals, etc.

The second involves our first bus. It did not come with an owner's manual, so on our very first trip while in a rest area after lunch I sat in the driver's seat and was pressing buttons that were unlabeled. When I pressed one I heard a clunk in the rear, so I looked in the mirror to see water spilling all over the ground on the driver's side. Fortunately it was only gray water, and fortunately the ground sloped away from the coach so I could see the water. I pressed the button again to shut it off. That coach had two separate dumps, a manual one for black water and an air operated one for gray water.

The final experience was just after I got our present coach. When I backed it into the garage and was going over it I noticed a lighted switch that said port dump. I knew what that was so I pushed the switch and the light went out. I never thought much about it after that. A week or so later I decided to hook up the sewer hose and dump the tank. My sewer outlets (macerator and the tank dump) have caps. As I removed the cap from the tank outlet the contents between the shut off valve and the cap discharged as a result of the valve previously being opened. Somebody at Buddy Greggs may have been playing with switches and even though the amount couldn't have been more than a gallon I ended up with it all over me and the garage floor.

My guess is Granville does not have caps.

I know it isn't funny and all, but that was funny. Immediate transition from proud fancy bus owner to trying to hide 45' of raw sewage belching stainless. Sorry Granvil.

My bus is rigged up to dump from the drivers seat as well but it is clearly labeled. Also has the unusual for Marathon configuration where the tank outlet extends through the base of the plumbing bay (like Liberty as I understand) to accomodate dumping on the run I guess if someone were so inclined.
    Last edited by GDeen; 01-03-2010 at 12:15 PM. Reason: sp

Gordon I don't think it made to dump on the run, I have seen several places where there was a large grate and you could drive your bus over it and open the valve for a quick dump. I saw this at the Prevost facilities in Nashville or Mira Loma, and some fairgrounds.
    GregM

Jon Did you buy your coach from Buddy Gregg? If so what was your experience? Rick

I bought the last one from Buddy Gregg Knoxville.

It was a surprisingly good experience because my previous experiences with his organization was really bad.

However, the name may remain, but the organization is no longer his. He recently passed away, and the Knoxville store has morphed from a high end coach dealership to one selling a lot of white tag along trailers.

New management, new product lines, just the same location and name.

Jon Also what is the difference between XLV and XLVS? Rick

I think designation denotes a 45 foot coach with slide(s).

I don't know the official designators but XL has been understood to be a 40 foot rivet coach, XLV a 45 foot rivet coach, XLII to be a current model stainless coach (Le Mirage? Do they call them that anymore?) assuming it to be a 45 foot coach because the XLII in 40 feet while there are some, they are very rare. I think we have two in POG.

Rick,

XL= 40' riveted
    XLS= 40' riveted single aftermarket slide normally living room
    XL2S= 40' riveted two aftermarket slides

XLV= 45' riveted
    XLVS= 45' riveted single aftermarket slide normally living room
    XLV2S= 45' riveted two aftermarket slides

Alek

Quote Originally Posted by Alek&Lucia View Post
    Rick,

XL= 40' riveted
    XLS= 40' riveted single aftermarket slide normally living room
    XL2S= 40' riveted two aftermarket slides

XLV= 45' riveted
    XLVS= 45' riveted single aftermarket slide normally living room
    XLV2S= 45' riveted two aftermarket slides

Alek
    So Alek, I've always described Evangeline as an XL-45. Is the more correct/accurate designation actually XLV?