Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Generator 1 Second Run Issue

scott13 Guest

Check the voltage going into that control box for the generator. I understand that if it's not getting 12 volts the generator will shut down.

I think as a general comment, if the generator is not getting 12 volts there is a much more serious issue at play here. With all our various systems (chassis 24 and 12V, house DC (12 or 24), house 120 VAC, plus the myriad of chassis and generator values ranging from oil pressure, air pressures, coolant temps, etc. owners need to be constantly vigilant.

Along the line of one's generator starting and then immediately shutting down mine does exactly that but then within a few seconds it cranks back up. This process happens after pressing the start gen. button one time. Could this portend to future issues? Anyone elses generator act the same?

PATRICK:
    My Gen set behaves exactly the same way. I believe it may be designed to do so in order to do a "systems check". Only no computer talks to you.
    Roger that!
    2008 Liberty DS XL2
    2023 Denali Ultimate
    My 6th Prevost

Roger,
    Thanks for the info. Sounds like maybe its a Country Coach thing. I'll find somrthing else to worry about.

This is on sale for $69.99 if anyone needs one.

Harbor Freight #2792-VGA

Just to let others know, I found the problem on my PowerTech 17.5 Kw generator. It would only run for a second then shut itself off. I ended up finding the radiator fluid level sensor bad in the top of the radiator. the sensor doesn't show on the schematic but has a ground lead toi the head and another lead running to the control box. The way the sensor works is with a low fluid level condition it sends a ground signal to the control box that doesn't allow the genrator to run. If the radiator fluid is full the sensor then sends an open signal to the contol box. During my troubleshooting I jumpered the oil pressure, high temp and this fluid level sensor and the momentary run symptom remained. When I cut the lead going to the fluid level sensor the symptom is gone. I'm guessing that the sensor is stuck even though the fluid level in the radiator is fine. Since I can find no mention of this sensor in the manufacturer's manual I thought I would pass on this bit of knowledge.

Gary

2002 Royale

Good dective work Gary - not sure I am smart enough to figure out a shut down switch not in the drawings. Thanks for the heads up.