Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Generator 1 Second Run Issue

Orren,

Picked this up today. Figured I could get multiple uses out of it and priced cheaper than a Transmission lift. $99.

Screen shot 2010-01-17 at 1.01.00 PM.png
    Harbor Freight #2792

About a month ago I could have used that to remove and replace my 8D house batteries. Without it I had to balance them on a hydraulic floor jack. It worked the way I did it, but your motorcycle lift would have made it much easier.

Where was that when I needed it?

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Wehrenberg View Post
    About a month ago I could have used that to remove and replace my 8D house batteries. Without it I had to balance them on a hydraulic floor jack. It worked the way I did it, but your motorcycle lift would have made it much easier.

Where was that when I needed it?

Don't you usually strap that stuff to Fast Roger's back?

He's still busy trying to bling up the CC so he wasn't available to do the heavy lifting while I supervised.

I don't think he would have wanted to help. I sold the old batteries for scrap and found they weighed 170# each. If I knew that before I started I would have delegated the responsibility.

Thats what I use and if you two were Bikers, you would already have that in stock!

Quote Originally Posted by truk4u View Post
    Thats what I use and if you two were Bikers, you would already have that in stock!
    Had the craftsman version for about 5 years now Truk - pretty handy!

Orren Zook Guest

Quote Originally Posted by MangoMike View Post
    Orren,

Picked this up today. Figured I could get multiple uses out of it and priced cheaper than a Transmission lift. $99.

Well done!

Default Problem Finally Solved

I think I paid a lot education dollars.

About 12 hours of work over 4 visits to finally find the problem. There are two inline fuses buried in the control box attached to the generator. One was blown (250v / 8amp Slow Blow) and we thought that was the problem. Changed and immediately blew again.

Finally traced it down to the voltage regulator board also located in the control box. Haven't seen the price yet on that board.

With all the hours spent trouble shooting I just wonder in the future if it's just cheaper to change the boards. Plug and pray.

This is the only authorized Kohler dealer in the area and they handle the work for 4 states.

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by MangoMike View Post
    I think I paid a lot education dollars.

About 12 hours of work over 4 visits to finally find the problem. There are two inline fuses buried in the control box attached to the generator. One was blown (250v / 8amp Slow Blow) and we thought that was the problem. Changed and immediately blew again.

Finally traced it down to the voltage regulator board also located in the control box. Haven't seen the price yet on that board.

With all the hours spent trouble shooting I just wonder in the future if it's just cheaper to change the boards. Plug and pray.

This is the only authorized Kohler dealer in the area and they handle the work for 4 states.

Mike
    Well that sucks....Hope you are finally healed.

Voltage regulator was Leon at Marathon's first guess on my problem. Am also hearing that a shaft bearing failure is fairly common in these things at 3-4k hours so that is something to keep an eye on.

I have been told that the shaft bearing is something to look at around 5000 hrs. I got that from the owner of Martin Diesel that supplies lots of generators to different builders.