Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Generator 1 Second Run Issue

Dub,

He thinks it's probably just that, some relay that activates the solenoid. Unfortunately due to the location of the control box he can't get at it to test it. I have to rig some way we can extend the genset out of the bay more for access.

I am not an expert in this and have never had to trouble shoot a generator problem, but logic suggests if the solenoid is good (just verify it with an OHM meter) then look to the converter installed starting circuit.

All of the generator controls in our coaches stop the generators by opening the circuit to the solenoid.

Just get a ninja to slip in behind the generator...........

Orren Zook Guest

If your genset is on a track like those on a Liberty, you can use a floor jack (on wheels, of course) or a truck transmission jack for support to slide it out of the bus. I've seen both used - the transmission jack looks to be the best choice if you have access to one, they're infinitely more adjustable when it comes time to put the generator back in the coach.
    Last edited by Orren Zook; 01-15-2010 at 09:44 PM.

Default Hmm

I found that mine will shut down if "auto-gen" is engaged and you try to manually start the generator. Starts up ok, but shuts down in a second or two.
    Not likely your problem, but add it to the list.

Mike - My Kohler/Yanmar 14.5 KW has a low oil pressure and a high temperature switch that will shut down the engine if the oil pressure is low or the temp is too high. It will open the fuel solenoid and the engine will not run. These are bypassed when the starter switch is pressed - the engine needs to spin for a couple of revolutions to get the oil pressure up. My guess is that one of these switches has failed. On mine, the water temp switch is located on the gooseneck on the top right side of the engine, the switch is on the left and the temperature sender is on the right. The switch should have either zero resistance or will be open (it should be open). The temperature sender will have a range of 100-250 ohms depending on the temperature. The oil pressure shutdown switch is above and to the left of the dipstick. This switch is normally closed - the oil pressure opens it. There are a couple of relays in the controller cabinet that could be bad as well - the opening and closing of the relays are controlled by the switch positions of these plus the start/stop switch, remote start stop, etc.

Hope this helps....

Steve

Steve,

We already tested the sensors and they passed the test so next step is inside the control box.

Orren,

Great excuse to buy another tool. I'll be heading down to Harbor Freight today.

Jon,

When all else fails, I'm coming to knoxville.

JDUB,

Screen shot 2010-01-17 at 8.39.36 AM.png

Mike,

As I said previously I have no clue about the various generator start and run circuits because to date I have not yet had to dig into a problem, but from the description you have given it sounds like something within the generator control circuitry or the converter start circuitry something is opening the circuit to the solenoid.

Since the engine related sensors such as oil pressure and coolant temp sensors have been checked it points in that direction. I also assume the generator has some sort of diaphraghm switch that signals when the generator is running (via a manifold vacuum usually) and disengages the start mode. If not look at that as well because that is central to this issue.

We are all going to learn when you find the problem.

sawdust_128 Guest

Is that the Mango Mike's salad girl?

Jon,

THe Kohler tech did say there was some sort of shut down procedure if the system senses the generator is not developing sufficient output. We'll be checking that on Tuesday.

More to come...

Mike