Thread: Banging noise

kmuller Guest

Default Banging noise

On my return from Florida our 99 XL 45' developed a banging in the lower front when going over expansion joints or other small bumps. The noise sounded like two china plates being banged together. Didn't seem to be suspension related as it did not happen on big bumps. It sounded like it was coming from under the drivers feet. Annoying, but didn't seem to effect steering, braking or suspension. Any ideas???

K.

This may be too obvious, but did you check to make sure everything was secure in the front bay? Noise travels in the bus in strange ways. Also in my '97 Liberty there is a panel on the front side of that bay that hides a bottle jack and some handles, is the jack vibrating?

Mike
    Last edited by MangoMike; 09-06-2006 at 03:37 PM.

kmuller Guest

Mike - I must be having a senior moment or moments....I looked everywhere but there. I'll check it out tomorrow when I am at the boat yard. Thanks!

K

K.

The lower door (below the drivers side window) opens to the where the washer tank and other associated items are. It might be a source for noise, but if you have Cruisair's (I have two in that same area) the door that opens for the consensor / compressor sometimes bangs open in like circumstances.

Best thing is to get some snapperhead girls for the coach and between them, you can't hear anything short of a jet engine.

ken&ellen Guest

Default Liberty Baffles

Could it be as Jerry indicated the baffles? On my Liberty they are air operated, but if the cotter pin came loose or a bolt fell off they could flop open and closed. Just a thought. Ken

It it were Lew's coach, I would say it was just his noggin hitting the overhead, but I doubt K. has one of those big bucket heads.

I'm sure I'll get whacked when happy hour is over.......

Based on the fact you didn't say the steering was affected, I would hazard a guess that the bushing in the shock absorber or steering dampener has failed.

But that won't sound like china plates, but more of a metallic clunk. Time to get under the coach and check it out.

Also, what kind of hub caps do you have? some have a trio of fasteners, one of which could have come loose and is rattling around in the hub cap, but usually centrifugal force keeps the loose parts tight against the side of the hub cap until you slow down.

kmuller Guest

Default Banging like plates

I got under the bus yesterday and I think I found the source. The bar (rod) that runs from the wheel to the center of the coach that is used to set the alignment has a rubber cup/bushing fitting on the inboard end. It looks like it has blown out. This rod passes just over top of a small frame member and I think the little movement I am getting in the rod now allows it to tap, tap, tap on the frame member. We were just days away from going in the chassis shop anyway for all new bushings, etc., so hopefully that will square it away.

dalej Guest

Karl while under there check the top of each shock, the covers that protect the pistons. I had one break loose and it clanged on rough roads.