Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Recommendations for Smoky Mnts Area

sawdust_128 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Kenneth Brewer View Post
    I am thinking about a trip that will take me on I40, north to the NE. Is the
    Blue Ridge Parkway friendly (passable) its entire length for buses? I see a photo of an underpass under an arched stone bridge, but I don't know where the photo (ad) was taken. Help, please.

The I-40 goes east-west from Wilmington NC to Barstow CA. The I 40 is still closed near the NC/TN line because of the landslide that occurred late Oct. However, it may be getting close to reopening. Will Garner posted a link to a site which gives details about the progress of the repairs.

Try east on I-40 to Knoxville then I-81 N/NE, And don't forget that you have to pay tolls to the local commanders of the Tennessee stainless steel oyster barge fleet. But, you only have to pay if they are wearing their plumbing bay tour guide and liberty driver's hats.

Very familiar with I40 and I81 etc., but I have never used the Blue Ridge Parkway or visited Smoky Mtn NP or the area, and I need to know if there will be a problem getting under underpasses without damage to an almost maximum height vehicle, an H3, anywhere along the Parkway, or if there are other restrictions, such as length. Thanks.

sawdust_128 Guest

There are tunnels and overpasses an H won't go through, at least I won't try to take mine through. I would keep it off the parkway and I would keep it off the skyline drive in VA as well. When we go, we use a campground nearby an entrance to the parkway and then use our toad to sight see.

If you are thinking that you could use the parkway as a way to traverse the western NC area in your coach, that won't work IMO. Here is the link to the mile marker/tunnel/height information from the NPS. (Note, these tunnels are not straight and there are few if any places to get turned around. Also, another landslide and construction have portions of the Blue Ridge Parkway closed to through traffic. I believe that a section north of Grandfather mountain is or was closed when I was there in October.

http://www.nps.gov/blri/planyourvisi...el-heights.htm

Lastly, much of the enjoyment of the Parkway is taking advantage of the scenic turnouts. I don't believe you would find much joy in trying these in an H as they are relatively small, tight and frequent. They may be impossible for an H if any other vehicles are in them.

Hope that helps.

P.S. The Parkway information line at (828) 298 0398 is the best up-to-date list of road closures and other park-related information.
    Last edited by sawdust_128; 12-17-2009 at 08:38 PM.

Well, that takes care of that. Thank you for the excellent information.

sawdust_128 Guest

Anytime. Glad to help.

Default Pine Mountain RV Resort - Smoky Mountains

Gordon,

Here is the update on our trip to the Smokys. Pine Mountain RV Resort is very nice. In my opinion the highest quality RV park in the area. Pine Mountain opened in July 2008. It has approximately 60 sites including pull throughs and back-ins along a nice creek. All of the spaces have concrete pads with excellent width and first class hookups. Unlike most of the campgrounds in the area the entire park is paved. The bathhouse facilities are top notch. There is a nice outdoor pool and in the winter you have access to an indoor pool across the street at the Mainstay Hotel which is also owned by the Ogle family. There were only two nits - no dog run and no playground for the kids. Although there is more than enough in the area to keep the M&M's busy. The location is also very good located more in the middle of the area just off the main Parkway at traffic light 6. I highly recommend Pine Mountain to anyone looking to visit the Smokys. Having stayed in four other parks in the area and looked at least 5 more, Pine Mountain would be an 8 or 9 compared to a lot of 2 to 6's.

Loc - 2008 Marathon XLII - Houston

Southern Pines, NC (next door to Pinehurst)

Default Blue Ridge Parkway/Smokey Mountains Parkway - Not

Kenneth,

I've been the entire length of the parkways in a car. They would not be friendly for a coach. I'd suggest you site some campgrounds/RV Resorts that are in the Shenandoah Valley (Blue Ridge Parkway); park the coach then go exploring with the towed vehicle on the Parkways. There are too many curves and too many grades for my liking to risk driving a coach. That is not to mention overhead clearances (rock bridges as well as overhanging tree limbs). There are plenty of places to stop, use the towed and be safe. For example, there are many scenic overlooks along both parkways. They will NOT fit a 40' coach pulling a towed vehicle.

That is my two cents worth. You can't even get a cup of coffee for that.
    Last edited by Will Garner; 01-01-2010 at 09:27 AM.

Thanks for the update Loc. Hope you and the crew had a nice stay.

Everyone is right you do not want to travel the parkway in your bus to sight see. I live on the parkway at mile post 163 in V.A. I have to drive for two miles on it to get to state road. Also they do not scrape the roads in the winter. had to clear the road with my tractor to get bus out to fla. lots of low limbs!

Gave you that warm toasty feeling about the taxes you pay didn't it?
    Roger that!
    2008 Liberty DS XL2
    2023 Denali Ultimate
    My 6th Prevost