Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: High Gang

Gary,

Try Wayne Mullis at Desert West Coach. They are sponsors and have done work for members. FLYU2THERE (John Giehm) has experience with them.

Link to their website

Quote Originally Posted by GSwaim View Post
    We have set our sites on a 2002 Marathon XL2-40 and are negociating as we speak. The bus has not been used much (60K) in the last nine years, and has no records available but looks like it is in need of all it's maintenance..
    2002 and 9 years old = 2011
    or
    2000 and 9 years old = 2009

Check the vin # for the chassis age

Alek

Sorry, had this 2002 marathon mixed up with a 2000 Liberty we are looking at also when calculating age. After servieral analysis of bus candidates they all starting to blend. Either way you calulate it, the original Michellins on a 2002 (2001 Shell) are out of date and need to be replaced.

Whoever you choose to do the work, stand over them.

When the customer is watching things tend to get done properly. When you are watching you are also learning.

As part of your negotiations there are several items that I would put real high up on the list beyond tires and batteries and a full zeroing out of all maintenance such as fluids (DON'T FORGET COOLANT), filters, belts, hoses, and a full lube, I would treat all air bags, brake chambers and all Norgren suspension valves as having timed out.

I'm not sure I would mess with the blue Detroit Diesel coolant hoses because they seem to exhibit a life span similar to that of a turtle, but I would not exclude the other hoses such as those related to the conversion or the Webasto as being cadidates for change.

I sure would get the coach to a Detroit/Allison shop and have them run the codes. I would be standing there when they did it.

When negotiating a purchase price, I would have a dollar amount developed for all of your maintenace,repair, and inspections . For instance Lifeline Batteries can be $350.00 each. Michelins mounted will run you $550 each and so on. You may already have some number in mind but get it all down on paper.
    Gary & Lise Deinhard, 2003 Elegant Lady Liberty, Dbl slide

Also, remember about the generator, and the whole set-up, that is connected to the inverter/chargers.
    That includes air bags, hoses, transfer switches, automatic start, etc etc etc.

Alek

I think the one your looking at is #750 and it is teal or turquoise. If this is the one your looking at it needs all that you listed as well as approx $5000 worth of body work needed on the left rear engine door and a broken seal on one of the thermopane windows in the bedroom. We were negotiating on it last May and it has recently been at Marathon in Beaumont to be checked out by a prospective buyer but he decided to buy a 45' coach from Marathon due to the extensive issues that #750 has. You could call Mike McGee at 800-765-9918 and he will tell you what they discovered.

We looked at #750 before we bought our current one. We liked the interior with the Southwest decor.

It appeared to be abused, as in rode hard and put away wet so to speak.

We took it for a drive. Lots of problems that could be fixed, just costs money. The dealer had a PDI list which included a lot of the things that would need to be repaired however no engine or transmission codes.

For the right price it would be a good buy however Kris wanted more than one sink in the bathroom/bedroom and a stackable washer & dryer so we bought a 45 footer.

Well Gang, Looks like there is no Marathon in my future. Dennis, the owner of Marathin 750 was being capricious and I couldn't take it any longer so I pulled my offer. Since then Karen and I found a really clean 62K mile 2002 Royale #332. I am writing this email setting at the kitchen table during my trial stay this evening before handing over the check tomorrow. After two days of extensive inspection I could only turn up three major things to fix.

1. An ABS fault light with a SID#13/FMI#3 code that states "retarter shorted to 12V" in the diagnostic display.

2. A dripping seal on the Allison tranny, repair shop quoted 12 hours to R&R.

3. A Heater/AC fan in the dash rubbing something when turned on, makes a heck of a sound.

Anyone have simple solutions for any of these?

Gary,

#3 might be the fans in the dash. On my 99 Royale I had to replace the 2 fans that run run the dash heat/air system. They were making a really bad sound when used. The "whine" got louder the faster the fans ran. See this thread to give you an idea what is involved.

I do not know if a 99 and and 02 have the same setup.

http://forum.prevostownersgroup.com/...light=dash+fan