Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can't ride 'em, so I'll talk about 'em

Devin W Guest

Default Can't ride 'em, so I'll talk about 'em

It's a bit cold and snowy out right now so the bikes are put up for now. We seem to be able to ride most months out of the year, but with over 10" of snow over the last few days and temps barely hitting double digits, they won't be seeing any use until we get a really good thaw. So since I can't ride any of them...I'll talk about them.

I have three gas powered two-wheelers. I was a late bloomer and didn't start riding until I was in my 30's. I started with dirt bikes. This is my current bike that really is a glutton for punishment:

I'm currently repairing this on it from the last ride:

Shortly after moving to Colorado, I got an itch to exploit the awesome twisty canyons and settled on this to get me around:

Very tame, air-cooled 1000cc motor and classic looks. Just the right prescription for staying out of trouble, but still having fun.

My wife and I talked about doing some two-up trips so I started looking at bigger bikes, but wanted something with some versatility in terms of riding surfaces so I ended up with this beast:

It's a great all-around bike and with my modest in-seam, a simple stop at a traffic light can be exciting!

OK, there you have it. It's nice to share with some like-minded enthusiasts. I've talked about them so that should hold me over for awhile...

Devin,

Let me help you. The point of bus ownership is so you can put your bikes on or in a trailer and get them to where there is no snow. That way the bus is happy, the bikes are happy and you are happy.

You need to meet Eric, Mr. Ironbutt.

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Wehrenberg View Post
    Devin,

You need to meet Eric, Mr. Ironbutt.
    Nice motos, Devin W. Do I see a Suzuki DRZ400 with an aftermarket bigger gas tank? And a KTM 990 Adventure? I have a DRZ400S dual sport. I got to ride some in your state a couple times this summer (late May and early August). We rode out of Ouray KOA campground.

When it warms up (next Spring, I guess), I'll ride to Ft. Collins to meet you.

Eric Faires
    Huntsville, TN

Devin W Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Wehrenberg View Post
    Devin,

Let me help you. The point of bus ownership is so you can put your bikes on or in a trailer and get them to where there is no snow. That way the bus is happy, the bikes are happy and you are happy.
    John, I'm definitely getting that part figured out. We spent a week out in Newport Beach, CA in October so I took a bike then. Turned out the weather was better here in CO and it rained several days that we were there! Must be that cloud I tow around...

Devin W Guest

Quote Originally Posted by hobobimmer View Post
    Nice motos, Devin W. Do I see a Suzuki DRZ400 with an aftermarket bigger gas tank? And a KTM 990 Adventure? I have a DRZ400S dual sport. I got to ride some in your state a couple times this summer (late May and early August). We rode out of Ouray KOA campground.

When it warms up (next Spring, I guess), I'll ride to Ft. Collins to meet you.

Eric Faires
    Huntsville, TN
    Tks, Eric. You scored 100% on the ID test. The Suzuki often throws people for a loop on the trail. Most say, "what is it?".

I haven't done much riding in the Ouray area, but that is something I'm hoping to do soon. You'll definitely have to let me know if you end up in my neck of the woods.

ken&ellen Guest

Default Year around rider

Devin, If you do not mind riding with the Harley crowd....we ride year around in Savannah, Ga area.
    For a fellow Prevost owner.....you may park out on the " compound " at no cost. 50A, dump, & water. Ken & Ellen

sticks Guest

Nice bikes!I just sold a S4 Fogerty last year, still have a 1993 900 Superlight.Also have a custom bobber made by New York City Chopper, and a Harley Nostalgic Springer.Take my two sons to Sturgis every summer. Stay at Elkhorn RV in Spearfish, a great RV park!! My wife, Sandy, won't go near the bikes, so haven't bothered to get a lift for the back of the coach.

Devin W Guest

Quote Originally Posted by ken&ellen View Post
    Devin, If you do not mind riding with the Harley crowd....we ride year around in Savannah, Ga area.
    For a fellow Prevost owner.....you may park out on the " compound " at no cost. 50A, dump, & water. Ken & Ellen
    I've found that I enjoy the company of most anyone who enjoys being on two wheels. I'm sure I could find exceptions to that, but I try not to look too hard! I've promised my wife more warm destinations so I'll be sure to keep you guys in mind if we make it out that way

Devin W Guest

Quote Originally Posted by sticks View Post
    Nice bikes!I just sold a S4 Fogerty last year, still have a 1993 900 Superlight.Also have a custom bobber made by New York City Chopper, and a Harley Nostalgic Springer.Take my two sons to Sturgis every summer. Stay at Elkhorn RV in Spearfish, a great RV park!! My wife, Sandy, won't go near the bikes, so haven't bothered to get a lift for the back of the coach.
    Thanks, Sticks. I had an S2R prior to the SC1000 and the riding position and maneuverability of Monster chassis is tough to beat. I've always loved the special editions like the Fogarty. Sounds like you've got some nice rides. I'd love to build up a rat-type bobber with a big fat white walls. Practical, no, but plenty of fun!

ken&ellen Guest

Default bobber

Devin, It must be a poplar design, Rossmeyers in Daytona is building the bobber from days gone by complete with the suicicde shifter on the tank and I believe with a old style knuckle engine. My days of building bikes has come and gone, but there is a lot of satisfaction in a project bike. Ken