Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: CB RANGE MININUM

wave Guest

At least if you drive a Prevost you should have a good ground plane - which refers to the mass of metal at the base of an antenna. Fiberglass roofs pose a special problem as you can see and are for the most part useless. A simple SWR meter will determine if your radio is matched to the antenna properly - you can have a CB shop check this for you or any ham operator would be happy to help. A 1:1 match on the meter is the desired reading - meaning most of the power the radio generates is being transmitted. But assuming your radios are legal it would be limited to 5 watts of power which is pretty ineffective with a compromise antenna which includes all RV antennas. In a campground or in a caravan they will do fine but passing each other will require a very fast conversation

Anyone capable of driving a Prevost is capable of getting a ham license. Then with experience and motivation you should be able to make daily contacts from the bus to nearly anywhere in the US. Don't misunderstand - it is not a telephone like conversation and not possible everyday due to weather both on earth and above the earth. The conversation will be to another ham operator so it pays to get your friends interested as well. It is true wireless communication and a real thrill - especially when someone from another continent answers your call. More information is available at www.arrl.org You will discover that the relationship between CB and amateur radio is like a pop up camper to a Prevost.

Wave
    w5sk (all radio operators are known by their call sign)

Jeff Bayley Guest

Default Aluminum for ground plane

Didn't realize that our aluminum roofs provided the suitable ground plane but now that I think about it most of what I remember was as a 14 year old infatuated with CB's and I had a base station antenna that in fact was made completed out of aluminum. Do anyone think there would be any gain at all using metal or maybe stainless steel base plate in between the antenna and the roof in the event that you were changing the antenna anyway ?

So, I wonder how many of us are hams here? Just from this thread I've learned:

Bill Price - WA5NBP
    Wave - W5SK (great call for CW!!)
    Ray Davis - NB6D
    Warren Holm - ???

and from previous, I believe:

Ron Walker - KF4VVL

any other lurking hams out there?

I'd love to put a rig in my bus, but unfortunately, I've not ran into many of us who have a license. Obviously, I guess it's best to have both. Actually in my new bus, my CB doesn't work. Marathon replaced it, saying it was "bad". It still didn't work, but I think the fact that there is no antenna on the roof might have something to do with it!

Ray

We have found using hand held walky talkies works best when caravaning with other rigs. New WT's have pretty good range and excellent sound.

Most of us need to have our CB's tuned up hence another item to be accomplished at POG-9. You CB wizards get on it with Skiffer and get a local CB Yak Shak to come out with the gear for tune ups and new gear for replacements. Damn I'm good at delegating.
    Harry

Shirley & Harry / 2000 Liberty / 2008 GMC Envoy Denali

Orren Zook Guest

Here's a little info regarding the limited power a standard CB radio puts out in relation to antenna length:

* If you put 4 watts into a four-foot antenna, you will get the same power out of that antenna as if you were putting 2 watts into a 102-inch whip.

* If you put 4 watts into a 3-foot antenna you will get the same power out as if you were putting about 1.5 watts into a 102-inch whip.

* If you put 4 watts into a 7.5 inch antenna on a hand held CB, it would put out as much power as a third of a watt into a 102-whip.

* If you put 4 watts into a 102-inch whip antenna, it is the same output as if you put 11 watts into a 3-foot whip.

* If you put 4 watts into a 102-inch whip antenna,, it is the same as if you put 14 watts into a 28-inch antenna.

* If you put 4 watts into a 102-inch whip antenna, it is the same as if you put 54 watts into a 7.5 antenna.

Orren Zook Guest

Thumbs up

To go along with my previous post, if your CB radio/coax/antenna setup is not peaked you can expect these signal loss results when transmitting. Get an SWR meter to check it yourself or have a CB shop check and adjust your antenna to peak operating range.

Power SWR
    Loss Reading
    0% = 1:1
    2% = 1:3:1
    3% = 1:5:1
    6% = 1:7:1
    11% = 2:1
    25% = 3:1
    38% = 4:1
    48% = 5:1
    70% = 10:1

AL3B & KL2IG here. Nice to know there are other Hams in the POG.

We're considering installing a ham radio in the bus this summer when we return to Alaska and are interested in hearing from anyone that has done that.

wave Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Bayley View Post
    Didn't realize that our aluminum roofs provided the suitable ground plane but now that I think about it most of what I remember was as a 14 year old infatuated with CB's and I had a base station antenna that in fact was made completed out of aluminum. Do anyone think there would be any gain at all using metal or maybe stainless steel base plate in between the antenna and the roof in the event that you were changing the antenna anyway ?
    Jeff, I believe if you have good contact with the metal roof nothing else would be required.

Wave

wave Guest

Quote Originally Posted by James View Post
    AL3B & KL2IG here. Nice to know there are other Hams in the POG.

We're considering installing a ham radio in the bus this summer when we return to Alaska and are interested in hearing from anyone that has done that.
    I have tried it both ways and I really prefer to put the antenna on the tow vehicle and not on the bus. You can then connect with coax across the tow bar and operate the radio in the bus while mobile or stationary. Then when you disconnect you can put the radio in the tow vehicle and you are ready to go again. From a height standpoint and less damage- my vote is an adjustable HF antenna like the Hi Serria on the tow .

Wave

WD8QBQ here.

JIM