So, I've spent a ton of Lew bucks getting the bus working and hopefully ready for the trip to Santa Fe. I'd really like to have the ability to tow a vehicle, since I'll be continuing on for two more weeks from the rally, through Texas and back to CA. But, because of the prior expenses, I'd like to do this as cheaply as I can, but still be safe.

I'm looking for options. I have a 2004 Honda Civic Hybrid that I want to tow. I think that Ken and Ellen have mentioned that they tow that same vehicle, (other than a small issue with their rear tire?)

Anyway, I went down to a local large RV part chain here, and got a quote for stuff to get towing, which ran about $3000. More than I'm able to spend right now.

So, one thing to mention the bus came with a Roadmaster Blackhawk tow bar already. It's big, ugly and heavy, but I think it's servicable, and would save me having to purchase a new tow bar now. (I had been wanting to get a newer lighter Blue Ox unit)

It seems that the RoadMaster bracket would be about $370 on the internet, but mounting looks a bit complicated.

So, it seems if nothing else, I should be able to get a bracket and get it installed for perhaps under $500?

What about braking system? I hear several people say they don't use them on smaller cars (the Honda Civic is probably in that category). But, I assume I'm going to have to at least wire up lights and stuff. I've wired trailers for towing before, but never a vehicle. Anything "fancy" to do there? I believe the bus and the towbar are already for that, and the wiring harness is already on the towbar.

So, I'm curious if anyone has suggestions as to the best way to get going on a budget. Is it silly to try to get a RoadMaster tow bracket on my vehicle, if ultimately I'd rather get a Blue Ox towbar? Are the brackets usable with different towbars, i.e. are the hookups on the various towbars standard, or are they matched towbar to bracket only?

Help appreciated.

Thanks,
ray