Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: How to get towing most economically

"American Honda claimed that we must have had the emergency brake on....which would have damaged both wheels..! "

I can attest to that. I can also say that it only takes about 1000 feet to destroy the tires.

Quote Originally Posted by Ray Davis
    Michael, thanks for the info on the adapters. I'm going to look into that. I wasn't thrilled with the look of the Roadmaster brackets, but this might be the way to go.
    Ray, we have the Roadmaster tow system for our coach as well. One of the nice features is that if you purchase a new tow vehicle, the hitch is very adaptable. You can often times use the same car brackets just remove and re-mount on the new car. The main hitch folds up out of the way on your coach. Bob--00 used to sell and install roadmaster hitches in one of his previous business lives and highly recommends them. He does not feel that anything under 5000lbs requires additional breaks. Bob's 2 cents worth with me typing

Bob-00 and Debi the typer

Thanks for the info. Well, because I've got the Roadmaster towbar, that would probably be the easiest route to get going. I think I'll probably just order the tow bracket, and see if I can install it myself.

Only thing that kinda scares me about towing without braking is IF anything does happen, the chance of legal issues is probably much more likely. But, it sure seems that from what I read here about 1/2 of the people don't have supplemental braking. I've tried to find the weight of my Honda, but it's not listed anywhere that I can find.

matsprt Guest

Default Weight of Civic

Ray,

Several web sites show Honda Civic Hybrid's at around 2700 lbs curb weight.
    In comparison my 05 CRV is 3300 lbs. The rules for requiring or not requiring supplemental braking systems vary widely by state . There are several that use the ratio of < 10% towed to towing vehicle weight. So if your towed is less than 10% of you towing vehicle weight you good. Some states work off the weight of the towed vehicle. Some off stopping distance from a preset speed...it goes on and on.

.....California it appears is a stopping distance state. At least after a quick look through the VC it appears that way. It would take a lot more than 10 minutes of research to be sure but suffice it to say that I don't think you will have a problem.

As ugly a picture as this may conjure up, it would be like a palm frond in a hurricane....the bus would not even notice that car flapping around back there.

Michael

Joe Cannarozzi Guest

Ray, Being a tractor-trailer owner operator gov. regulation is irritating at best. I have been harrased by DOT for so many things so many times I have developed an additude. Here is my advice on this issue both saftey and legality in regards to pulling a small toad. Supplemental braking is defined by the DOT in a broad fashion and therefor can be achieved In a very simple manner. Take a drawer attatch some slides to the bottom place it on the floor of the toad at the brake with a large rock in it and a return spring attatched to the seat In a hard stop the drawer slides forward. Does this work well, depends on how much experimenting you do with how much weight you put in the drawer and the stiffness of the return spring and so on but, probably not. However this WILL satisfy regulations, screw them. As far as the important issue here, saftey, very simple. Take it easy, be carful, if you drive easy you wont even know its back there. Has eneyone ever seen a saftey inspection being preformed buy a cop on an R-V, I have not. Mabye after a reck. If involved in an accident the device I have just described will allow you to answer Yes to the all important question of do you have a braking device from both the law and your insurance agent! HAPPY MOTORING.
    Last edited by Joe Cannarozzi; 09-02-2006 at 10:51 AM.

Even though I think this was said tongue-in-cheek, Joe is correct on this issue. (I have a previous post on this same issue). No matter how simple, as in the least cost, we need supplemental braking on our toads just to meet the law and to save our butts if the situation arises.

Last Thursday my wife and I were on our way to KY. to visit our daughter and we were stopped by an Ohio State Trooper on I 71. This female cop was young, drop dead gorgeous and would qualify as a Corona Cop at Mango Mikes. The first words out of her mouth were "who's on the bus?" She then asked for my registration and drivers license and then said 'I'll tell you why I stopped you after I see them." My immediate thought was I was stopped because the star struck cop was hoping a super star was on the bus and was disappointed when I told her just my wife and I.

I received a written warning for failure to signal a lane change. I had my CB on and knew this officer was in the area for 5 miles before I reached the spot where she was sitting in the median. She pulled out immediately upon my passing her and started to follow me. When I changed lanes the lights went on. I am as anal about turn signals and obeying the laws on the road as some of you are about polishing your wheel holes and copper and I know I signaled my lane change particularly since she was following me.

She had to have a reason to pull me over to meet the star on the bus and when the star was unknown me she issued a warning to cover herself. At this point she could have easily checked for supplemental braking on my Jeep, which I have.

Do we need it with a Prevost? I doubt it. But aren't we stepping over dollars to save pennies if we don't have it? I think the cost of the least expensive brake system is good insurance to protect us from the law, court, etc.

FWIW

Denny

Denny,

Knowing how creative Joe is I'm sure it wasn't tongue in cheek. Glad you dodged the bullet but at least you had a Babe trooper stop you instead of a Lewcop.

Mango

I wish Ohio would annex Tennessee if a cop pulls you over for failure to signal a lane change there.

Down here the use of turn signals is seen as a sign of weakness. And those few (who probably moved here from Michigan or somewhere) who do signal it is usually after the fact, as in to say I just made a turn.

Joe Cannarozzi Guest

Yo Mango, once just for kicks. When we still had a coachman. I had my nephew get in the toad, an 04 HEMI Ram, while in tow, without the driveshaft disconnected. I made him sit on his hands so he didnt get the urge to steer. At 60mph I kicked the camper into neutral and he went to drive and pushed me down the road at speeds of 70+ until we both had a sufficiant laugh. Lets see that on a Dodge commercial! Trust me now? Hmmmm. Now that Im thinking about it I wonder if I can push the bus that way? What, did you say road service? We dont need no stinking road service!
    Last edited by Joe Cannarozzi; 09-03-2006 at 08:23 AM.

lewpopp Guest

Does your nephew do all of the crazy things you think up?

Explain just exactly what you were trying to prove. I'm confused.

Does a "HEMI" stop as fast as they say they jump. By the way. Don't most cars have HEMI'S?

How old was uour nephew? To young to resist, huh?