Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: How to get towing most economically

Ray, Thanks for the plug, I can't take the credit for that idea. I think if you look back Jon or someone else came up with the separate light bulb deal.
    Kevin

Orren Zook Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Ray Davis
    I think I will try to do what Kevin suggested, and that is embeded the lightbulbs somewhere in my current light socket area. In that way I don't have to re-wire for the braking system (which wants a relay inline if I'm wiring direct to the real lights)
    Someone makes a wiring kit that you can buy that contains the stop/tail light sockets - you drill holes in the back side of your toad light housing and plug the socked into the hole, run the wires to your bus cable.... a very easy simple installation. I'll get the name of supplier for you in the morning.

Whoa satellite boy,

I just got defend the magnetic lights (with a tip of the hat to BOB-00). I've put 18,000 miles with them on the Toaster w/ no scratching. However, I run them thru the engine compartment, directly out to the drivers door, inside the cab and out the sunroof in the back. No problemo.

MM

Quote Originally Posted by MangoMike
    Whoa satellite boy,
    I just got defend the magnetic lights (with a tip of the hat to BOB-00). I've put 18,000 miles with them on the Toaster w/ no scratching. However, I run them thru the engine compartment, directly out to the drivers door, inside the cab and out the sunroof in the back. No problemo.
    MM
    Mango, have you been to the farm recently? I see you used the word "Whoa" with the satellite boy?

We have towed two PT Cruisers(one at a time of course) with our previous coaches and the with our present coach and the last one. We have never had a scratch issue using the magnetic lights. However, we do run the light wiring through the engine compartment, inside the car/SUV, and out through the back of the windows or hatch. Very little wire is exposed and we have never had an issue. Sorry to hear that you had a problem with yours!

Debi and BOB-00 who tips his go-kart hat back to you Mike
    2000 Vantare XL, 2005 Jeep Cherokee
    Landrum, SC

Wiring kit by Blue Ox, you can get it through camping world or Blue Ox direct.

Now, now. No offense intended, I'm just relaying my results. I did after day-one route the wires through engine into the car. But where I had issues was in two places:

1. Coming out the back door, looping around onto the trunk where the lights were. There's an 8 inch section that I tried everything including duct tape to keep it from flapping.

2. Between the two lights (they were joined together by 2 foot section of wire), I tried folding this down under the trunk lid, but they still flapped somewhat.

Admittedly I may have had better results if I were able to route the wires from the backseat straight through into the trunk and up. But given the rush I was in to get going, I wasn't able to try that. The darn hybrid has the batteries hidden back there somewhere, and I wasn't able to pull up the back seat to get the connector through there. That would have helped a lot.

I'm sure that cars with a back hatch, instead of a 4-door like mine would have worked better. A lot less exposed wire.

I'm hopeful that it will all buff out anyway. The car is so darn dirty from towing, it's hard to tell!

Ray

ken&ellen Guest

Default Magnet lights = extra safety

I am with Mango....no scratches on our Jeep Liberty and those lights are mounted high for better visibility. Plus when my Brake Buddy kicks in I have double the light output. At night I can see them in the back up camera....very bright! If only they were LED's? Ken