Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: How to get towing most economically

Default How to get towing most economically

So, I've spent a ton of Lew bucks getting the bus working and hopefully ready for the trip to Santa Fe. I'd really like to have the ability to tow a vehicle, since I'll be continuing on for two more weeks from the rally, through Texas and back to CA. But, because of the prior expenses, I'd like to do this as cheaply as I can, but still be safe.

I'm looking for options. I have a 2004 Honda Civic Hybrid that I want to tow. I think that Ken and Ellen have mentioned that they tow that same vehicle, (other than a small issue with their rear tire?)

Anyway, I went down to a local large RV part chain here, and got a quote for stuff to get towing, which ran about $3000. More than I'm able to spend right now.

So, one thing to mention the bus came with a Roadmaster Blackhawk tow bar already. It's big, ugly and heavy, but I think it's servicable, and would save me having to purchase a new tow bar now. (I had been wanting to get a newer lighter Blue Ox unit)

It seems that the RoadMaster bracket would be about $370 on the internet, but mounting looks a bit complicated.

So, it seems if nothing else, I should be able to get a bracket and get it installed for perhaps under $500?

What about braking system? I hear several people say they don't use them on smaller cars (the Honda Civic is probably in that category). But, I assume I'm going to have to at least wire up lights and stuff. I've wired trailers for towing before, but never a vehicle. Anything "fancy" to do there? I believe the bus and the towbar are already for that, and the wiring harness is already on the towbar.

So, I'm curious if anyone has suggestions as to the best way to get going on a budget. Is it silly to try to get a RoadMaster tow bracket on my vehicle, if ultimately I'd rather get a Blue Ox towbar? Are the brackets usable with different towbars, i.e. are the hookups on the various towbars standard, or are they matched towbar to bracket only?

Help appreciated.

Thanks,
    ray

Ray,

I'm towing a Honda Element (the toaster).

I've been very happy with Roadmaster. Use the Falcon 2 All Terrain towbar with the MX series brackets. Which are nice because when not in use they are almost invisible. You do not need the ugly cross brace that is shipped with the towbar if you have the MX brackets. I paid the local gas station to attach the brackets to my Honda (about $150) and I think the towbar and brackets were $900. Mango

Last edited by MangoMike; 08-30-2006 at 06:15 PM.

Ray,

This is the easiest answer for lighting. And only $19.00. Unfortunately no Bling - non LED.

http://www.rvtoyoutlet.com/mm5/merch...Category_Code=

Mike

Thanks Mike,

Here's the unit I have http://www.roadmaster-tow-bars.com/blackhawk.html

So, it has this big back cross brace. Are you saying I won't need that if I get an MX brace? It seems that the only brace listed for the Honda Civic Hybrid is the EZ model.

http://search.cartserver.com/search/...CIVIC&GO=GO%21

Do you have external braking on yours?

Ray, If you have the towbar, regardless of how ugly or heavy it seems to you you only need to get the part that you add to the car to mount the towbar.

I would suggest you contact Roadmaster and let them know the specifics of what you have and have them suggest what else you need to have to tow.

It will not be very expensive and it is likely that you could probably mount it yourself. Later on you can buy another tow bar if it suits you, but I would spend the money on LEDs instead.

The heavier and uglier the towbar the more likely it is suitable for any size or weight vehicle. You do not need to add any braking package with such a light car, although some states may have laws that require them. We towed a 3600 pound Jeep Grand Cherokee and my Dodge Ram 1500 without any supplemental braking. Only when we went to the 6700 pound Hummer did I consider braking to be a necessity.

Unless you intend to keep your tow car for a very long period of time the lights Mike suggests are worth considering. On the vehicles I tow or towed I had to get into the factory harness and add diodes for the lighting to work off the bus and that was a bit of a project.

My toad is a Jeep Wrangler and I have towed it with my Foretravel 320 both with and without extra brakes and did not notice any difference in stopping ability. However, most states require auxiliary braking for anything towed and the weight requirement for addditional braking on the towed trailer (car) can be a low as a 1,000 lbs. In Ohio where I live I believe it is 1,500 lbs.

In my conservative way of thinging, big expensive motorcoaches mean high dollar lawsuits if you are involved in an accident and do not have the braking on your towed vehicle. I feel an attorney would have a great time in court with this situation.

Now that I have a Prevost, I would never consider towing without an auxiliary braking system on the Jeep even though it probably is not necessary. I would rather error on the side of conservativism than take a chance in court without the braking system on the toad.

We all know that we are billionaires to afford a bus!

FWIW, I use the Brakemaster by Roadmaster.

Denny

Just Plain Jeff Guest

We've got the Falcon towbar that resides on the back of the camper when not using it. That way, the only thing that's on the toad is a couple of brackets which are secured to the frame of it.

We ran wires from the commercial metal plug bracket on the toad as a separate circuit to extra bulbs in the back lights, no diodes, easy stuff.

We have found that taking off the parking brake is a real help in towing, although there are others here who seem to disagree with that idea.

So, everyone has their own ideas, all equally valid.

Ray,

I don't use a braking system, yet.

Jon is right. Contact Roadmaster and see what they recommend with your towbar. If your lucky maybe the MX bracket is available.

Mike

matsprt Guest

Default Tow Bars

Ray,

I have a Roadmaster Sterling. I, like you it sounds, did not like the heavy ugly crossbar. Roadmaster started a couple of years ago to make the adapter kits for allowing their tow bars to hook up to Blu Ox base plates. Nice kit, just screws onto the tow bar ends. You can view it here:

http://www.roadmaster-tow-bars.com/b..._adapters.html

I needed adapter kit # T31 from Roadmaster. Works great. I tow a Honda CRV with no problems. I do not use a supplemental braking system. If I get a larger towed I would go with a braking system with a breakaway feature.

Michael
    SoCal SSD/MPD

Michael, thanks for the info on the adapters. I'm going to look into that. I wasn't thrilled with the look of the Roadmaster brackets, but this might be the way to go.