Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: POG 9

Default POG 9

Let's start this one over! (The other post started with old posts not relevant to POG9)

We would like to get feedback on Buckhorn for October as it is centrally located, great facilities,great service and can handle our large group.

How many sheep to fill up a Truk?

Loc - 2008 Marathon XLII - Houston

Loc, your the numbers guy, you tell us. Very helpful post by the way.

Buckhorn is OK with us. I'd rather go someplace new, but Buckhorn works. What happened to the place Tuga mentioned? How about New Mexico? Is there not a resort in NM that could handle us? Whatever is decided, the sooner the better as far as setting the dates. I hate planing so far ahead but to block out a week takes some planing.

sawdust_128 Guest

A few questions:

1. Is it possible to state a definition for the POG National event? Something like the Annual national POG rally will begin on the nth Weds. of October and last until the nth Sun.? That way, every one knows when it is? This may not work out so well for a small number of folks this next rally, but it seems that it would work for everyone there after. No need to re-negotiate this aspect year after year.

2. I've only attended one of these so I don't have the experiences of many of you, but how important is it that it be someplace "new". At OKC, I found that I was busy a great deal of the time (that was good) but, when I wasn't, I was trying to meet other POG members and enjoying their company (a great thing, well for me anyway).

I would be very satisified going someplace central where members had an equal (as is possible) chance of getting there. And somewhere we could be accomodated with all our activities. If I feel the need for new, I can take a different route there.

Just some food for thought.

"How about New Mexico? Is there not a resort in NM that could handle us?"

In my opinion, the best closest place in NM is Las Cruces. La Hacienda. It is nearly as nice as Buckhorn, (gravel) pull throughs, but very long so you wouldn't have to disconnect, nice clean and modern facilities, close to a large mall, but I haven't used the pool (I think they have one, but can't swear to it), easy off/on I-10, very nice clubhouse, with a large clean fabric covered indoor (completely) meeting place/hall, not sure if it is air conditioned. Good power, high water pressure. Individual back-ins have privacy hedges. Good cable, Wifi.

White Sands, NM is a reasonable drive. In the summer this place is likely to be considerably hotter than Kerrville. It is just over 500 mi. west of Kerrville, but about the easiest drive (from there) you could ask for. Mountain view is off in the distance, but on the other side of I-10, which along this point is significantly above grade.

I am sure others have stayed here on the way east or west who can comment.

Jim,

To get back to your original question in the first post; Buckhorn is fine with us. It does have all the accomodations that we need for a good rally, and it is relatively centrally located.

Many of us have been there before, and many have not. We are not opposed to any good location, but it won't do much good to just start throwing options up in the air again without some concrete details for a specific location and park.
    Dale & Paulette

"God Loves you and has a plan for your life!

Buckhorn in October would be great. We're new here but think Buckhorn is perfect...I know that because Her Highness tells me she still has to make purchases at Cindy's Jewelry in Fredericksburg!!

sawdust_128 Guest

Thumbs up

Buckhorn works.

We have a suggestion for a new spot for POG 9 and its not way up in the atmosphere like Tiger Run.

http://www.coloradocampground.com/

The elevation is 6500 ft. It is in the town of Manitou Springs. Marathon Coach Club had a rally there several years ago, and the park has done even more improvements since then for big rigs.
    Your minutes from Colorado Springs and the Air Force Academy, Manitou is at the base of Pikes Peak and the Cog Railroad. The town itself is artsy-fartsy with lots of little shops and galleries. It is on the southern end of the Garden of the Gods Rock Formation Park. (a city park)
    Check it out.
    They have a rally co-ordinator, Tara, but she is in the office on mondays, tuesdays and wednesdays. Shall I call her up next week?
    Last edited by Coloradobus; 12-03-2009 at 02:35 PM.
    Jim and Chris
    2001 Featherlite Vogue XLV 2 slide with Rivets-current coach, 1999 shell
    Previous 22 years,
    We have owned every kind of Prevost shell but an H3-40

Kerrville would work for me. Like Buckhorn Lake very much!