Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Why to have your top end looked at!

I don't know enough about stuff related to our buses to have an opinion, but I do know that a lot of moisture is generated by running an engine. When it is a cold day you can see that moisture coming from the car exhaust pipe.

That moisture gets into our engine oil. It forms acids. The best way to drive it from the oil is to bring the entire engine up to temperature and allow that moisture to evaporate.

Dale may be getting his engine up to operating temperature by running it at high idle for 30 minutes. I would guess that it gets pretty warm and even if all the moisture is not evaporated, by re-oiling all the surfaces he is likely having a beneficial impact. But that is a guess.

I certainly admit that I am not sure that everything I am doing provides the absolute best scenario for our buses, but I have determined in my own mind that there is logic in my procedure.

I do know that diesels are not supposed to run for extended periods of time on "slow" idle. Slow idle supposedly allows gunk to build up on the valves and cylinder heads which causes more serious problems down the road. I don't even slow idle my tractors for more than about 5 minutes at a time. I am certainly open to any suggestions anyone has to improve the procedure I am using.

I do realize that 30 minutes may sound like excessive running each month, but by the time I do the things I previously discussed, the 30 minutes is gone, so it doesn't seem that long at all.
    Dale & Paulette

"God Loves you and has a plan for your life!

In reviewing the engine manual I noticed it recommends the use of a "pressure pre-lubricator" prior to starting a new engine or starting an engine after storage.

I found a website that has something called a Pre-luber, see http://www.pre-luber.com/preluberproducts.htm .

Does anyone have any experience with one of these? It sounds like a possibile solution to the lack of lubrication problem the engine experiences aftering sitting for several days/weeks.

I have my bus under a RV Cover to keep NW mold, moss, bird crap, fir and pine needles off of it during the winter and it is a PITA to remove on a weekly or monthly basis. So I like what you are doing Dale, especially running all the systems.
    GregM

James,

I was wondering why someone hasn't developed a prelube system. It appears they have. I don't see any downside to the system other than paying for it and having a few more fittings that could possibly leak. The system makes sense and may well be worth the $600-$700 when amortized over a few years.

If there is enough interest, maybe one of us could become a distributor and get a better price. I did not see the Series 60 engine listed on their site, but I don't know that means they don't have a preluber system for it.
    Dale & Paulette

If Detroit Deisel recommends all of this(pressure pre lubicator), change of oil before storage) in their manual, why have we not heard of any of this before. I'm a little flustered.
    Now I know some of us hang on every single word, idea, suggestion, etc. which comes our way, but this is a little over the top.
    A owner needs to know what is a suggestion and what is recommended!
    Gary & Lise Deinhard, 2003 Elegant Lady Liberty, Dbl slide

Don't know if this relates about letting the engine idle. Some years ago I read in a publication produced for the auto industry about idling. An engineer from Ford stated that prolonged idle places more load on the rod bearings than driving at highway speed. Something about the rotating mass reduces the bearing load. Engineer I am not.

Quote Originally Posted by Roadrunner View Post
    James,
    If there is enough interest, maybe one of us could become a distributor and get a better price. I did not see the Series 60 engine listed on their site, but I don't know that means they don't have a preluber system for it.
    They do mention the Series 60 when ordering the drain plug adapter, see http://www.pre-luber.com/heavydutyplugchart.htm .

I would be interested in getting one installed if someone in the group wanted to become a distributor. It appears that it would solve the problem of lack of lubrication during start after exended storage.

I called them this morning, and they are supposed to call me back. I am asking about the DD engines and distributorship reqirements. Their on-line info says that some of the kits don't come with all the hoses and fittings, so I want to find about the DD engines.
    Dale & Paulette

Quote Originally Posted by Roadrunner View Post
    I called them this morning, and they are supposed to call me back. I am asking about the DD engines and distributorship reqirements. Their on-line info says that some of the kits don't come with all the hoses and fittings, so I want to find about the DD engines.
    Thanks Dale, keep us posted.