Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Slide vs No-Slide

Ron,

We went from a slide equipped Fleetwood DP to a non-slide Prevost in 2002. We didn't mind the switch at all primarily because the front salon in the Prevost had big windows and felt much more open than our manufactured motorhome. That said we now have a two slide bus. I didn't want slides when I went looking for a next bus, but found a bus with bunks that happened to have slides and the priced was right at the time (at least it seemed like it was). I really like the slides and the extra room that they provide. My wife is a huge fan of the slides. I was concerned that the slides would make the bus seem small when traveling (we do a lot of driving and generally don't stay in one place for more than a couple of days), but they don't in my bus because of how the converter fit them out. I would want slides in my next bus (if I was to ever need a next bus, but I don't see than happening unless I lose my mind). The jump from a manufactured motorhome to a Prevost will be more than enought to offset the loss of slides. If you plan to park a lot then get the slides, if you plan to drive more then don't worry about it.

As for all the concerns about slides, I think it is overblown in some circumstances and deserved in others. Our bus is just as solid and quiet (actually quieter) than our non-slide bus was. If you do decide to go the slide route, I would do a couple of things. 1) I would want Prevost factory slides (just my preference). There are some buses that use non-factory slides (Featherlite in there H3's, Marathon in just about everything now). 2) Make sure that you have the tops of the slides inspected. Prevost had an issue with early generation slides where the sheet metail would bow on top of the slide and create water infiltration issues. Prevost fixed most of the these under warranty, but if you have a bus today that is an older version and needs the fix it is very expensive ($25K plus).

If you are interested in more details / thoughts, I would be happy to talk with you. Just send me a PM and we can go from there.
    Last edited by Loc; 06-27-2010 at 09:15 AM.

Loc - 2008 Marathon XLII - Houston

Slides are an additional maintenance item. I am not speaking pro or con relative to slides, but can say if you have a bus with slides you should do some research on which generation slides it has and what the service history of that particular generation might be.

From working with Roger and Jim Keller on roger's slide seal I am impressed with the quality of the slide system, but I am also aware it is both robust and complex. Seals are a maintenance item and I suspect the seal has a life span of somewhere between 3 and 10 years. There is a potential for the seal to fail prematurely due to the design because anything that gets on the roof of the slide room has the potential to damaage the seal. The seals are easy to replace, but I do not see any service facility doing a replacement in less than 8 man hours. Double that might be the other end of the range. The seals were in the $2000 range and the failure of a seal and ignoring that failure could result in water damage to the coach and some VERY, VERY EXPENSIVE mold removal and repair.

I think slides (Prevost factory slides) have a value as long as the owner's are understanding of and willingness to maintain them properly. If as an owner you are careless in maintaining things recognize slide could become your worst nightmare. Parliament Coach was repairing a slide coach that the owner did not maintain and the damage to the coach from mold and mildew was extensive.

Always an interesting discussion. Last summer, we took a western states trip over a couple of weeks with our whole crew. The lack of slides was really not bothersome with 6 of us including our 3 20+ year old sons. While driving, slides don't do you any good at all as far as space goes. When camped, we stayed at places with the rental cabins so that made it easy for sleeping arrangements. Even with slides, I don't think all 6 of us in there would have been comfortable without bunks. For eating and general hanging out,it worked fine in particular since a lot of the slide space is "dance floor" as someone put it. Plus we like to go to places where it is nice enough outside to spend time out of the coach.

With most of our future trips just Jennifer and the dog and I, I think no slides will be plenty good for our needs. Someday that may change, but certainly for now we are just fine. Plus, I like the feeling that we are in a converted bus, which with slides extended, just doesn't feel that way. Alternatively, I could see that becoming claustrophobic for some folks.

Kind of the old Ford vs Chevy discussion, but no slides has worked well for us thus far, and I like the added mechanical simplicity.

I believe the XLII has larger ceiling height then the H. The H does have taller storage below.

According to my visit at Prevost in NJ there is no maintenance you can do on your slide. If there is I would like to know it. They said the worst thing to do is to run it in or out with out the door open. The small windows do not allow enough air to not effect the seals.

I have heard that dry graphite in the slide lock holes can be beneficial, but not from Prevo.

Doug,

As an owner of a slide coach there is no limit to the maintenance you can do on your slides. Three inexperienced POG members changed Roger's slide seal with no injuries and a lot of knowledge gained. What we did was work that would have cost about $2000 to have someone else perform. After seeing the slides close up and personal I see a very well built system, somewhat complex, but not so complex it cannot be serviced, and a system made of components all subject to failure at some point. To say there is no owner performed service or maintenance is an insult because a determined owner with some tools and a desire to do his own work will be more than capable of learning the system and understanding its operation.

I don't feel I need slides, but if I chose to get a slide coach I don't feel I would be obligated to have others do all the needed maintenance and repair work. I am not going to suggest all that work is easy one man work, but I did not see much a competent person could not do.