Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Slide vs No-Slide

Default Slide vs No-Slide

I'm sure this has been discussed, but I can't seem to find it so here goes. After 3 non-Prevost coaches which all had 4 slides, is it piratical to think we would be happy in a non-slide Prevost (maybe one slide)? We've looked at a few Prevosts wiithout slides and, although some "mind" changes will be in order, I really don't think it would be too much of an adjustment to go to a non-slide (or a one slide) Prevost. Additionally, from some of the posts I've run across about slide problems, I'm thinking a non-slide coach might be best anyway.

The plan is to go full time, but one of us still works down in the oil fields in the Gulf, so most of the time there will be only one person in the coach. We would love to hear thoughts and comments from those that have "downsized" from the traditional 3 or 4 slide coach to a non, or one slide, Prevost. Thanks in advance for your comments.

Ron, if you do search through the archives, you'll find several discussions about slides here. Basically it comes down to preferences. There definitely seems to be two camps, i.e. the ones that love slides, and the ones that don't want slides.

I think it's a fair consensus that IF you are planning on traveling to a spot, and then spending a fair amount of time in that one location, then slides are a big win (albeit expensive). If you tend to travel more than stay in one location, then slides seem to be less desirable. Slides do tend to minimize the room while you are driving.

My personal preference is to not have slides. I don't worry about the trouble with slides, and as you've mentioned, there does seem to be a lot of issues with slides.

I love my non-slide coach, but as indicated, you will find others here that absolutely want slides.

Ray

Ron, there are several topics that get Prevost owners excited. You happened to bring up one of them.

I am a no slide coach guy for three basic reasons. We do not use our coach as a primary or second home parked in an RV resort as our home base. If we did our attitude about this reason would change. We use our coach to travel and to attend rallies. As a result a slide has much less importance than to someone who would enjoy the extra space in the living area.

We do not want the extra complexity of a slide. All slides require maintenance, typically occasional seal replacement, and that is an expense we don't need, nor do we want to be exposed to the costs if the slide needs adjustment or service.

Finally, and this is my personal opinion, I am uncomfortable with cutting openings through the main longitudinal structural member of the bus. It was not designed for slides, so when the main backbone of the bus on one side is cut to create an opening, despite the fact a lot of reinforcement is added back in, I just feel uncomfortable knowing a critical structural element of the bus has been comrpomised.

But if you want or need a slide and you are OK with all aspects of slide ownership ignore all of us who do not have slides. It's your money, its your choice, and it would be terrible if you bought a non slide coach and hated it. There is no justifiable reason to buy a Prevost, so when you get silly like the rest of us, make sure your purchase is what you want.

Ron,

We have had coaches with one slide, two slides and our last coach, a 2003 Beaver, had three slides.

One of our priorities when moving up to a Prevost was to be slide free. We are VERY happy with our non-slide XLV.

A lot will depend on how you use your coach and how important it is to be just as comfortable at a rest or fuel stop as you are in a resort.

We also live in our bus full time.

Good luck and enjoy the experience!!

Paulette would love to have 5 slides in our bus. I would like to have 1 slide if someone else would pay for it and if it came with a gurantee that is would never malfunciton or leak.
    Dale & Paulette

"God Loves you and has a plan for your life!

sawdust_128 Guest

We went through the process of acquiring our first rig.

No slides because:

1. no worrying about slides.
    2. no working around slides when they can't be deployed.
    3. 45' coach has enough limitations as to sight availability without adding the need to accomodate slides as well (we all seem to suffer scratchanoia and dinganoia at some level and all suffer severe bashaphobia).
    4. didn't want to give up the additional Cargo Capacity that slides consume.
    5. We don't stay at any one place for too long.
    6. no working on slides when they don't work (stuckoutanoia).
    7. no paying for slides (upfront and maintenance and repair)(costophobia).

On the silly side, remember the universe is expanding so much it will turn into nothing. It could happen to your coach.

Default Another consideration,

Another thing to think of, is if you park where the ambient temperature is above or below the normal range, you are multiplying the number of cubic feet you have to either heat or cool by a significant amount.

If it gets too far over 100, you will never be able to cool it with the cruise/roof airs that came with it.. It is somewhat easier to heat it in my opinion, as there are more options.

I am in the no slide crew in case you can't tell.

The other nice thing is, if you pull into a rest area or truckstop for a break, you have availability to everything as normal. Slides cover stuff up when they are not deployed

But I have to admit, when parked in mild weather, they have their own appeal..

I am still a no-slider for now anyway!

Ron, it looks like I maybe the ONLY one to post anything about a slide that actual has a slide in a bus.

To be quite honest, for most of this year, I would have said NO to another slide, cause I had lots and lots and lots of problems with our single slide. But I think those issues are behind us now, at least for our last 4 camping trips the single slide has worked great.

What all of the guys are saying is Absolutely Correct. If all you do is travel from place to place, then you may not want or need a slide.

If you like to have more room in your bus, when you get somewhere to relax and enjoy the openness of your bus, the slides absolutely offer more room, when you are parked or camped.

I think even during my trials with my slide issues earlier this year, I stated and still feel this way. " Peg and I would rather have a slide 50% of the time than not have a slide 100% of the time!"

YOU have to choose what is important for you, more room when you camp, or the same basic amount of room all the time whether you are camped or driving down the road.

Non Slide Owners would probably never mess with a slide coach.
    Slide Owners usually would never trade down to a bus without a slide, Usually!

Gary S.

Ron, maybe we need to poke a stick at the slide folks to wake them up. I cannot believe none of them have jumped into this and defended their choice of slides.

The reality is the whole market is gravitating towards slides and those of us without are either going to have very valuable and desirable coaches in the near future, or we are going to have dinosaurs nobody wants.

sawdust_128 Guest

Thumbs up

Well said Gary!!