Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Is this an aux air problem?

Default Air leaks

I have had two air tanks fail with pinholes. Check it. Dan
    Danss 1999 Vogue, 03 Chev. Trailblazer

Tom If a coach is leak free from the factory ( I presume ) than why can't it be leak free now? Jon I find it rather odd that the relief valve will leak one way but not the other! Air is air. It would be interesting to know the answer to that puzzle. Rick

Tom If a coach is leak free from the factory ( I presume ) than why can't it be leak free now? Jon I find it rather odd that the relief valve will leak one way but not the other! Air is air. It would be interesting to know the answer to that puzzle. Rick

Rick,

I suppose if someone wanted to replace or rebuild every fitting, norgren valve, air cylinder, air line, air tank, "O" ring, etc., you might get it tight, but by then I'll be too old to drive and the guy doing the work can retire!

Devin, look in the steer bay and see if there is a shut off valve for the step slide. My 91 Liberty had several needle valves in the steer bay for the step slide, pocket door, sewer dump, ect. My 2000 Liberty does not have the needle valves so your 94 may not either. Anyway, if you do have a valve for the step slide air supply, see if the leak goes away when you shut the valve. If it does, I'm gonna bet that the step slide cylinder is going to need replacing or rebuilt. On the 91 Liberty, it was a huge job replacing the cylinder because Liberty attached the cylinder to the back edge of the step slide. At some point, they started attaching the cylinder to the front edge of the slide, so like Tom says it can be accessed from underneath when the slide is out. If the cylinder is attached at the rear of the step slide and needs to be replaced, send me a PM and I'll go into detail on the fix.

Quote Originally Posted by treedoc View Post
    I didn't say it wouldn't leak if I pressurized the system using the engine driven compressor.

When I start the engine I am usually going to drive away and with the engine running there is not way to hear a leak. However if I shut down for lunch at a rest stop, I don't notice it, but then again is is noisier at a rest stop than it is in my garage. I think exercising things makes them work better so that might be why it is not noticed when the engine is compressing the air.

This was an amazing read for me. Answered all my questions and solved some riddles for me.
    thank you very much

Took me about 1 year of part time playing around with all the air system to fix most of my leaks. To date I have replaced all air bags and changed fittings to compression from push in, changed all brake chambers, Camper Joe changed all Norgren's and again changed all push in fittings to compression's, replaced valve on horn, replaced PSI regulators on generator air bags, replaced belt air bags on engine, replaced brake relay valve's, replaced directional valve for air sliding door to bedroom, changed all push in fittings on front bulkhead to compression.

In the process of trouble shooting, I installed ball valves to turn off the driver's air seat, air horns, sliding floor at entry, sliding door to bedroom, air bags for generator, and aux air supply.

End result was/is brake system will hold air in storage for a month and a half. Aux air WAS holding air up to 18-20 hours. The aux air is back to leaking down in a 4-6 hour time frame, even with all the various aux air feeds turned off with the ball valves I installed.

I have kind of excepted there will be leak downs in the aux system. Maybe someday when I get bored I will go back at it and try to find the remaining aux leaks

Chuck
    Chuck & Katrina
    2000 Featherlite
    H3-45 Double slide
    2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Diesel

Ya know Chuck sitting static with the emergency brake applied to have the brake tanks stay up for a month is very very good.

However the real test would be wheel chocks in place emergency brake released and a weighted object on the brake pedal. I think if u did this u should see the same results or something is leaking. In this configuration u r supplying air to the emergency diaphragms and the service diaphrams both.

This is a test everyone should do at the end of every day.
    1990 Peterbuilt 377
    3406 B Caterpillar
    13 Speed Roadranger
    No Norgrens

1 day on paper no machines

as soon as i am able too I shall start with fittings as well. Seems like alot of work you did for it to eventually leak again....so i will not go all in like that. If i can get aux air to come on every 4 hours that would be a huge win for me!. my current aux air is a shytty 12v that is shot...only puts out 10psi. I currently have my Kobalt compresser in engine bay connected to 110. i flip the switch in bus when i need air for my toilet and tank gate valves. im gone for work 12 hours so we are talking min use. My bags hold air...they are brand new with all the valves (prevost hou)