Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Turning ...

Default Turning ...

I received an email today which is I believe associated with Lazy Days. They referenced a video online which was about "Turning in your Motorhome". I thought it might be interesting to watch ...

http://www.betterrving.com/ViewArtic...ookieSupport=1

I'm not sure I buy it for a Prevost. According to their video, you need to wait until your hips pass what you don't want to hit (like the curb) before beginning your turn.

In my coach, I've always waited quite a bit longer, watching my rear wheels, until I'm close to them reaching the curb.

I'm curious what others think. I would guess that for longer vehicles like ours, waiting as suggested here is just not enough.

I've had no issues with the method I use, and I've never hit a curb (yet), so I'm not planning on changing, but I thought this was of interest ...

Ray

Ray,

I agree with you. I go farther than my hips when making most turns. I think part of this is because a Prevost turns sharper then the average RV.
    Dale & Paulette

"God Loves you and has a plan for your life!

Sealy, Texas (50 miles west of Houston on I-10)

Default Turning

Ray, I think ole Barney must be trying to get some body work for LazyDays shop. I think you need to use your side views, experience, and good judgment, rather than a rule of thumb in making turns.

I don't know what kind of coach he is referring to, but I can't think of one that your hips are not in front of the steer wheels.....but I'm getting old!

Pete & EJ Petree
    2001 Prevost Featherlite Vantare
    2008 Ford Explorer Sport Trac 4x4
    Sealy, Texas

My thought was that most standard motorhomes have a much smaller wheelbase than a Prevost. Any turning rule-of-thumb I would have thought needs to take into account how long the wheelbase, rather than simply the turning angle.

Most motorhomes turn sharper (due to the shorter wheelbase), but have much more tail swing.

Using a fixed point near the driver can't guarantee clearing an obstruction in the rear. Rate of turn, horizontal distance from obstacle to drive wheel, and angle of turn are all variables. Remember, the bus pivots around the drive axle. The only way to assure a bonk-free turn is to monitor the changing relationship of the inner drive wheel to the corner. It's all done with mirrors. Additionally curbside trees, stop signs, fire hydrants, etc help keep life interesting.

I have seen that "tip" about using the hips as the start of the turn and I agree with all the posts above. I'm not sure any of us can define precisely where we actually begin our turn because as Brian accurately points out there are variables such as the radius and how fast we turn the wheel and how far we are from the curb or other obstacles.

All I know is that intuitively I make my turns when I need to make them and usually I know before I have even begun the turn I know if I have to back up a line of cars at the intersection of if I can make the swing without interfering with the intersection traffic while avoiding the curb. I suspect everyone else has the same ability after a few hours of practice.

Except Mango who possesses the skill to hit big rocks when he turns.

"Except Mango who possesses the skill to hit big rocks when he turns."

Wow, way harsh !! Is this not the beginning of the Holiday Season?? Santa, please bring Jon a kinder and gentler demeanor for Christmas. How them flat spotted tires doing for you, A1?

sawdust_128 Guest

Another thread bites the dust.

You guys all run around covering each other by claiming you are all type A's.

Now I realize that your affliction prevents you from remembering the rest of the letters.

Hey Mel Torme (a name given by Mango), what part of the award presentation for Mango in OKC did you not hear? And lest we forget, would you care to fill us in on how coaches get dinged down in the Lone Star State?

Was that during a turn, the topic of this thread?

Well. yes, Jon I remember the OKC award ceremony. I thought it was quite dignified and in good taste.

The other issue you mention, I have no idea what your talking about. A senior moment on your part, perhaps.