Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Newby...

Default Newby...

Hi all, new to the forum and thinking our next coach will be a Prevost Conversion. I’m totally green when it comes to these Prevost monsters. Ask me about Spartan, Freightliner, Tiffin, Monaco, Newmar, Country Coach and the like and I’m fairly comfortable, but when it comes to these beast’s, I am as lost as can be. I may have the word lost confused with intimidated :-) Unfortunately, it will have to be a few years old unless we win the lottery, and that is where I really get scared. How safe is it buying a used conversion? Conversions seem to be so complex electronically and in their systems. Are you at the mercy of the Prevost Service Centers or the Conversion Company itself when it comes to minor repairs. I’m a do-it yourself kind of guy, but not sure about Conversions. Every time I talk myself out of a Prevost Conversion I look at those big windows which so define a Prevost Conversion to us and I the hook goes in a little deeper :-) So much to learn and absorb…

So much for my insecurities :-) One last comment, in the several weeks that I have been reading and learning here at POG, I would like to say that I am really impressed with the membership here. Not the usual bickering and whining that one reads on so many of the other forums. Anyway, just wanted to say hi and if I come across with a dumb question, or two, or three, or four… Please be kind to me and my ignorance. Ron

HI Ron, and welcome to POG.

I would suggest spending some time walking through old posts around here. There is a wealth of information. I personally know of only one POG member who has started with a seated coach, and is converting themselves. A non-converted coach is merely a shell.

So, we ALL have coaches by various converters. You will find lot's of discussions here about the various converters, and the pros and cons of purchasing coaches which the converter is no longer in business. Believe me, among the various members here, we have pretty much every converter covered in terms of ownership.

So, in a nutshell, I wouldn't look at anything other than a converted coach. For coach service, you can take a Prevost to one of the many Prevost service centers here in the US, and many other independents also work on Prevost. As far as house/conversion issues, there are still converters in business who will work on any conversion, and there are independent service centers as well.

Good luck.
    Ray

PS: Based upon the last rally, most of our coaches are in the 1990's range. We have some newer, and some older, but the majority of our owners fall in that middle area. Do not be afraid of an older Prevost, as long as it has been maintained, it will outlast you.
    Last edited by Ray Davis; 11-17-2009 at 07:37 PM.

sawdust_128 Guest

Welcome!

Be careful about the compliments. There are those here who will consider it a sign of weakness.

Ron,

Welcome aboard! I had 20+ years of plastic and 4 years ago I made the Prevost plunge and never looked back. Since that time, I have had 3 different conversions, Marathon, Country Coach and now Liberty. Don't be intimidated by the complexity of the machine. Prevosts are designed to go a million plus miles and have a proven track record. You will be amazed at the difference between the plastic coaches and a bus.

We have members at Titusville, maybe someone will jump in here and offer to let you kick some tires. Good luck on your search, ask lots of questions..

parksincpp Guest

Welcome Ron, looking foward to meeting you in person.

Welcome Ron,

I am in TGO in Titusville. I would be glad to show you my 1999 Royale and answer any questions you have. I might even get a few answers right!

This is a great bunch of people with a great deal of knowledge that they love to share. I think you will like it here.

Welcome to POG, Ron! Shopping for your first Prevost is the most fun you can have with your clothes on and having access to the near inexhaustible volume of information, experience and expertise available on POG will make you a much more informed and confident buyer when you find "the one" if you will participate and ask any questions that you have along the way. The only "dumb" questions are the ones that go unasked. I'll tell you from personal experience as a Prevost newbie a year ago, POG members are exceedingly inclusive and extremely generous with their expertise. Just jump in with both feet, bring your sense of humor and thick skin, and don't take yourself - or anyone else too seriously - and you'll soon be having the time of your life! Once you find the right bus for you and acquire it, then the real fun begins!

Thumbs up

Welcome Ron and I'm sure you will find answers to any questions on this forum. I left a new 08 Monaco Executive a year ago and bought a 98 Liberty and I have absolutely no complaints. There is just no comparison in the two coaches. Regarding questions, now one can ask any dumber ones than me but you will get answers to all of them with just an occasional tugging on your chain. This is a wonderful group and when I, as a new owner, had a serious elecctrical problem, one of the guys actually came to my location to help me out. Let us know when you get your new baby.
    Richard and Audrey Barnes
    and Jessie Jane The Wonder Dog!
    1998 Liberty
    2008 Saturn VUE

My Blood Runs Deep Orange

Hi Ron. Welcome to POG. A well maintained Prevost is not a problem. Prevost makes a great Coach. With the Detroit Engine and Allison Transmission, your way ahead of anything else on the road.
    A used Prevost is nothing like the plastic Coaches.
    You have essentially a Commercial Bus with a custom conversion. Some componants will need maintenance , replacing and updating but its about the same with any Coach. The different systems are similar to Plastic Coaches so they can be maintained and repaired if necessary.
    Most Conversions have support by their Convertors or by Adopted Convertors.
    Buying used is a good thing as well because you get the benefit of an expensive original build with the depreciation already taken.
    Gary & Lise Deinhard, 2003 Elegant Lady Liberty, Dbl slide

Welcome to the asylum Ron. If you have been lurking and reading you already know we can and will answer every one of your questions. Sometimes the answers will actually be correct.

You have every reason to be concerned when buying a used coach. But not scared. There is a difference. If you take the time to learn about the different conversions and determine how you want to use your coach (dry camping? second home? lots of travel? trips with the kids or grandkids?, etc.) that will help define how you want the coach equipped, and that alone will help narrow your focus.

When you have done your homework and know the coach you want with respect to which converter, systems, the floor plan, etc. you can then focus on the condition and price. There are a lot of folks here that have some very detailed converter specific knowledge and they can guide you.

Do you like sheep?