Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I'm being flushed away

Default I'm being flushed away

Help! When I flush my toilet it will not stop. I have to turn the pump off to stop the flow. If on city water, it continues to fill and run into the tank. It doesn't run over but it continues to flow. Any quick ideas on this?
    Richard and Audrey Barnes
    and Jessie Jane The Wonder Dog!
    1998 Liberty
    2008 Saturn VUE

My Blood Runs Deep Orange

Which toilet do you have ? What brand ?

Quote Originally Posted by Alek&Lucia View Post
    Which toilet do you have ? What brand ?
    I guess the type of toilet would be important - Royal Flush Superbowl. I do 't have a manual.
    1998 Liberty
    2008 Saturn VUE

Hi Richard, I'm sure if you go online there will be something to help you. I had problem with mine it is a microphor toilet and they had a manuel online to help me. Good luck!!

there is a control which is hooked to 2-3 wires on the right side of the toilet behind the bowl next to the wall.The controller is usually velcroed behind the panel,it is hard to find,it will take a mirror and a lot of looking to find it,you can turn the screw and I bet it will change how long the toilet flushes for.

Richard,

If the toilet you describe is a Headhunter there are only two parts you are likely going to be concerned with. One is the push button on the side (RH as you sit on the bowl, LH as you face the toilet) and the second is the flush valve. The button on the bowl is a switch and it momentarily activates a solenoid in the flush valve. That solenoid operation unseats a diaphragm causing water to flow for flushing. It is possible the switch is stuck closed but less likely than a clogged diaphragm.

In the diaphragm is a small hole which will allow pressure to equalize on both sides of the diaphragm allowing it to seat and shut off the flow. I suspect there is some dirt or debris in the hole.

I don't know your floor plan, but if my description of your toilet is correct you have to access the flush valve, remove the six screws, insure the inside of the valve and the diaphragm are clean and reassemble the valve. It should work like a charm after you do that.

Here's the bad news. The valve is likely hidden, hard to access and harder to service. I relocated mine to facilitate service. Here's the worse news. Look in your fresh water bay. The clear braided hose coming from the bottom of the blue accumulator tank should have a check valve in line. That is a dedicated line going directly to the toilet flush valve. If it does not have that check valve, when you turn off the water pump to stop the flow of water into the toilet, the contents of the toilet will back flow into your fresh water tank due to a flush valve stuck open, and no water pressure in the system. It back flows due to gravity.

If you are able to turn off the pump when the flush valve is open, and the water stays in the toilet bowl you have the check valve and life is good.

The photos below show the flush valve (after I relocated it so I could get at it to service it, and the check valve that should be in the water line. The large ball valve was intalled by me so I could service the flush valve if necessary while still having water throughout the bus.
    Attached Images Attached Images

jelmore Guest

On that Royal Flush, there is a timer module behind the push button. It has a little blue knob that you can turn to adjust the length of flush. You might give that a try before taking apart your flush valve. I think our timer module is failing. Every couple of weeks we have to readjust the length of the flush.

In addition to the timer there is also a valve that can be opened or closed to adjust the contents in the bowl.

I'm going to stick with my guess it is a flush valve related issue. If the toilet was working fine one minute and then failed to shut off the next it appears to be the valve. In case the timer or switch is in question, disconnect the wires at the flush valve. If it continues to flush there is the answer.

Thanks guys, I really appreciate your help. I'll be working on this tomorrow and I'll let you know the result. You're teh best!
    1998 Liberty
    2008 Saturn VUE

Thanks Sid, How are you? How was your charity event?
    1998 Liberty
    2008 Saturn VUE