Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Side Rails?

Question Side Rails?

I'm not sure what these are called, whether they are rub rails, or side rails, or trim pieces or what.

I have the 9" tall pieces, either chrome or stainless (haven't looked that closely). I've got a couple which are dinged up a little bit, and I'd like to look into replacing.

Any thought as to where to get these. I looked at IBC, and it looks like it may be the place, but can't tell from their website.

Any help looking for a source would be appreciated.

Thanks,
    Ray

rails.jpg

Ray,

If you have a Liberty I have the same ones. Just ordered a replacement panel for my '97 - but $9.50 per linear inch from the factory in Chicago. Ouch. IBP may have the same, but hopefully cheaper. I wasn't smart enough to call IBP.

Mike.

Ouch! $9.50 per inch. That's about $350 per panel (give or take). Yow. At that price, perhaps I'll just buff out the couple of small scratches?

win42 Guest

Ray: Your rub rails are ss and if they are not too bad they can be repaired. Dents can be pressed out. If the dents are in front of one of the mounting brackets, the bracket has to be removed before pressing the dents out and welded back on. Scratches can be removed by a series of rotary flapper wheel sanders and final power buffing. If you have a plating/polishing shop near you that straightens bumpers they would have the equipment to do it for you. The rails are easy to remove and put back on. I suggest you talk to a plating/polishing shop by phone to make sure they will do it before taking it to them. There will be no plating required, just ss welding and polishing.

I have a short section of one of mine to do and I will do it myself. SS is very forgiving and easy to work with the right tools. Another good reason we own Prevosts.
    Harry

Harry,

With your experience in SS I think you should give a talk at POGII and perhaps a little hands on demo if possible in the art of polishing and buffing.
    Earn your keep.

Mike

win42 Guest

Mike: I'll probably be the only one there without a polished coach. But if you really want me to, I'll try and round up some materials for a show and tell.

Harry

Harry, thanks for the advice. That certainly may be a better way to go. Still curious (just to have in my reference), does anyone know of a cheaper source for these pieces?

win42 Guest

Ray: Did you get a quote from IBP?

The cheapest way would be to get Jon or myself to un-retire and go down to our shops and do it for 1950 wages. But neither one of us are going to do it.
    Harry

No, I haven't called them yet. I am going out to get the bus at DD tonight, and I'll measure the panels to see exactly what size panels might need replacing. Then I can get a more reasonable price?

Would you come out of retirement if we got Corona Kelly to come visit the shop??

dalej Guest

Ray, what is the deal on the orange coach your little photo looks burgandy. Never seen a orange Prevost. I bet you photoshop it, didn't you.