Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: How much fuel???

The specs on our coach state that we have 250 gal fuel capasity, so I'm assuming it is 160 + 90. With the guage showing a quarter, I just put in 196 gal.

At one time with the 8V92 coaches the fuel tank was 160 gallons and the optional tank added 90.

When coaches switched to the Series 60 the standard tank became 208 gallons and the 90 gallon was the optional tank.

But having said that there are also various other sizes so an owner has to rely on the coach build sheet, something they can probably get from Prevost by providing their VIN.

My first coach had 250 gallon capacity, and my current has the 298 gallon capacity. Neither gauge was accurate enough for me to predict tank size. I also have never understood whether our rated capacity reflects a tank that is absolutely full or one that has the 10% additional volume for expansion.

I also have a 98 Prevost and a 99 CC. I have the two tank configuration.
    The 160 tank is in the 3rd. bay curbside with the sending unit in it and the 90 gallon tank is just in front of it only visible from underneath the coach.
    It is about 6" wide and goes all the way across the coach.
    Both of my tanks are white plastic and connected with a rubber hose. (I know it is much more sophisticated than plastic, but thats the best I can do for now.) CC would never use common plastic!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I think some of the problem in only putting in 180 gal is that, as I have come to learn, Prevost fuel gauges are inherently unreliable. I have put in 224 gal (after running out)
    I have talked to many people who swear that all coaches have 208, but for some reason the 40 footers we have do have 250

My running ebate (debate) continues. I was advised that all CC 40's since the introduction of the series 60, have 250 gallons. Some apparently have dual fills while others, like mine, only fills from the RHS. Additionally mine fills like a 45, at the rear of bay 3, into the 160 gallon tank, while others apparently fill forward of bay three into the aux. I now gather that although I may have the 250 gallon tank system, the main fills first then overflows into the aux tank; trouble is that the high spped pump shovels fuel in faster than the aux tank will accept it so consequently I rarely carry more than 160 or so........ The fuel tank sending unit is in the main so I still show "full"

John

Your fuel will seek its own level in both tanks if the coach is equipped with the optional tank. The optional tank is connected to the main tank top and bottom so as the main fills the optional tank is filling at the same rate. I doubt if you can fill the main tank and leave fuel out of the optional tank because the fuel in both tanks will sit at the same level.

The puking of fuel is another whole different issue and I have resigned myself to fill fast until I am about 30 gallons shy of full, and then go to the lowest flow rate on the nozzle. Despite a flow rate of only a few gallons per minute the fuel nozzle will shut off, and after a count to three will puke some fuel. But I know both tanks are full so I will tolerate the mess until I can get home and clean it off.

Jon,

While I agree that fuel will seek its own level, I also believe that the high speed pumps shoot the fuel in faster than the inter connects and venting systems can handle, hence the spitting. I do not know how the 45's are plumbed, but on mine, the main tank is filled from the nozzle. Other 40's have the aux tank being filled first. I have never been spit on even at max pump speed, perhaps it is the single fill, perhaps it is because the main is taking the fuel...dunno. My best guess is that once my main fills, although the aux is filling as well but at a slower rate, I get the auto shut off and the overflow is absorbed by the aux tank...no spitting mainly because I have extra room for additional fuel. My gauge reads full and I think that my tank (s) are at capacity when in reality I may have a long way to go.

Quote Originally Posted by charlesebrownjr View Post
    I also have a 98 Prevost and a 99 CC. I have the two tank configuration.
    The 160 tank is in the 3rd. bay curbside with the sending unit in it and the 90 gallon tank is just in front of it only visible from underneath the coach.
    It is about 6" wide and goes all the way across the coach.
    Both of my tanks are white plastic and connected with a rubber hose. (I know it is much more sophisticated than plastic, but thats the best I can do for now.) CC would never use common plastic!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I think some of the problem in only putting in 180 gal is that, as I have come to learn, Prevost fuel gauges are inherently unreliable. I have put in 224 gal (after running out)
    I have talked to many people who swear that all coaches have 208, but for some reason the 40 footers we have do have 250

Why not just measure the dimensions of the tank(s) and calculate the capacity? number of gallons!
    Tuga & Karen Gaidry

2012 Honda Pilot

Standard fuel for a 40' XL is 160 gallons, standard fuel for a 45' XL is 208. The Prevost aux (long range) tank is 90 gallons, so 250/40' or 298/45'. Sometimes a converter will do a custom aux. tank, and the dimensions (capacity) can very considerably.
    Steve & Rhonda Bennett
    Dana Point, CA
    92 Marathon XL40
    2012 Jeep Rubicon Unlimited
    Owner: California Coach Company, LLC

According to the CC literature I have from when my coach was new in 1999, 1998 chassis, all 40XL have 250 gallons while 45XL have 208 gallons.

My Liberty has as large a tank as I can afford to keep filled