Thread: The bus made it home!

Quote Originally Posted by garyde View Post
    The sequence for opening is as follows: When you push the button to open:
    1. The air seal begins to deflate
    2.once deflated, the pins retract from the slide
    3. the slide motor begins to move the slide out
    4 once out, the slide seal inflates

This sequence is reversed when closing

So, if your error light begins at the beginning of this process , it is an air issue, possibly not enough air pressure in the system to begin the sequence.
    If you get an error light later in the sequence, it might indicate too much current draw on the motor which indicates the motor is working too hard.
    I think it is the latter...the motor is working too hard for some reason. The light does not blink until the very end of travel outward. The error I get is that there is over current while in operation. I am suspecting something is not adjusted right and at the end, it gets too hard to finish without really working the motor.

On closing I do not get the error and the motor does not sound like it is working as hard.

I guess I will have to get it looked at. I also have a very annoying squeak coming from that front slide. It is like fingers on a chalk board....

Generally speaking (not specific to slides) any time moving parts are making a noise like you describe something bad is going on. Continuing to use the device making the noise usually leads to even bigger problems.

If I had a slide coach and it was making sounds that indicated something was wrong, I would move it slowly and steadily by hand (I assume these can be hand cranked) until I sensed or felt the interference that was causing the noise. At that point I would start looking for the reason. I assume the mechanism for the slides is a rack and gear(?) and that somewhere in the travel something in the mechanism is binding.

If the sound was coming from interference between the chassis and the slide there would be scraped paint.

Mark, there is one other automatic function that occurs when the "air seal begins to deflate" and that is the tag axle exhausts and drops the rear of the coach to take the "CHARGE" off of the chassis. The normal stance of the entire chassis is to drape over the steer and drive axles. The TAG AXLE actually pushes and tries to take the restful arch out of the shell.
    If you don't hear the hiss of air loss and the rear of the coach doesn't sink when you begin the sequence to run the front slide out, manually dump the tag axle before you run the room out and see if you still have error codes.
    If error coder don't show up, then there maybe a programming glitch that isn't including DUMPING TAG.
    Just a thought from remembering our previous slideroom coach issues.
    Jim and Chris
    2001 Featherlite Vogue XLV 2 slide with Rivets-current coach, 1999 shell
    Previous 22 years,
    We have owned every kind of Prevost shell but an H3-40

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Wehrenberg View Post
    Generally speaking (not specific to slides) any time moving parts are making a noise like you describe something bad is going on. Continuing to use the device making the noise usually leads to even bigger problems.

If I had a slide coach and it was making sounds that indicated something was wrong, I would move it slowly and steadily by hand (I assume these can be hand cranked) until I sensed or felt the interference that was causing the noise. At that point I would start looking for the reason. I assume the mechanism for the slides is a rack and gear(?) and that somewhere in the travel something in the mechanism is binding.

If the sound was coming from interference between the chassis and the slide there would be scraped paint.
    I should have been more clear on the squeak...it is while driving down the road, not while operating it. Sorry.....

Quote Originally Posted by Coloradobus View Post

Mark, there is one other automatic function that occurs when the "air seal begins to deflate" and that is the tag axle exhausts and drops the rear of the coach to take the "CHARGE" off of the chassis. The normal stance of the entire chassis is to drape over the steer and drive axles. The TAG AXLE actually pushes and tries to take the restful arch out of the shell.
    If you don't hear the hiss of air loss and the rear of the coach doesn't sink when you begin the sequence to run the front slide out, manually dump the tag axle before you run the room out and see if you still have error codes.
    If error coder don't show up, then there maybe a programming glitch that isn't including DUMPING TAG.
    Thanks. I do NOT think the tag is dumping air. I will try it tomorrow and see what I can figure out on that. I am almost sure that I only hear a slight hiss from the air seal, and nothing more. I don't remember the rear sinking either.

I will let you know when I find out.

Thanks again for the ideas.....

Quote Originally Posted by Coloradobus View Post

Should the tag dump for the rear slide as well? Just wondering if I should ckeck that one too...

Thanks.

Negative on the tag dump for the rear slide
    Roger that!
    2008 Liberty DS XL2
    2023 Denali Ultimate
    My 6th Prevost

Mark,

I had an issue with a rattle in my front slide. It had nothing to do with the slide mechanism, but the trim that the converter put around the slide. It was a very simple fix (double stick tape) once I found where the rattle was. It took me a little time to locate the rattle because it was intermittant. I had to get someone else to drive the bus while I listened to find the rattle. I could even tell that there had been some type of double stick tape or felt pad in the location before (which is why it didn't rattle when I first got the bus). In your case it could be the slide mechanism, but it just as likely be the trim.

Good luck!

Loc - 2008 Marathon XLII - Houston

Quote Originally Posted by Loc View Post
    Mark,

I had an issue with a rattle in my front slide. It had nothing to do with the slide mechanism, but the trim that the converter put around the slide. It was a very simple fix (double stick tape) once I found where the rattle was. It took me a little time to locate the rattle because it was intermittant. I had to get someone else to drive the bus while I listened to find the rattle. I could even tell that there had been some type of double stick tape or felt pad in the location before (which is why it didn't rattle when I first got the bus). In your case it could be the slide mechanism, but it just as likely be the trim.

Good luck!
    I will check on that as well. It is a very loud squeak that sounds llike ruber on metal. I have looked at the trim and it doesn't seem to be rubbing anywhere, but I will continue to look around.

Thanks for the tip!

Mark3101,

Following the tag deflation idea, does your tag deflate when you are ready to run the salon slide Inward. The tag should deflate with the room going in either direction. Have you tested slide operation after you have manually dumped tag air.?????
    Also, are you leaving the driver's toll window or entry door open when the slide room is in motion? The slide seals (even after air is exhausted in the seal) are so tight that to aid slide movement, you need to have something open for changing air pressure in the cabin.
    Just a thought.
    Jim and Chris
    2001 Featherlite Vogue XLV 2 slide with Rivets-current coach, 1999 shell
    Previous 22 years,
    We have owned every kind of Prevost shell but an H3-40