Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Facebook users raise your hands!

Default Facebook users raise your hands!

One of our more "shy" POG members (she doesn't post much - but reads religiously) found me on Facebook and since then I've discovered three other POG members (Jeff Bayley, Jamie Bradford, & Paul Horner) who are also Facebook users. This "shy" POG member and I would now like to find as many fellow POG'ers who have Facebook accounts as we can. Facebook is a great place to stay in touch with far flung friends and family without a lot of hassle. You can share what you're doing, thinking, or having done to you at any given moment; where you are, etc and only the people who you've added to your friends list can see your posts. Vita and I have daily interaction with friends across the country and family as far away as Italy as simply as going to facebook.com and jotting a quick note or status update. You can also send private messages that you don't want to be seen by everyone on your list. You can upload pictures and create unlimited picture albums to share. There's way more stuff you can do and use Facebook for, but you get the idea!

Back to the original reason for this post - If you are a Facebook user, please reply with your Facebook user name so that we can all "hook up" there for impromptu "cyber-rallies"! Or just as another means of keeping in touch!

If you are not currently a Facebook user - consider checking it out at this link: Facebook

I don't get it. Of course I don't get twitter either.

Isn't that what phones and email do?

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Wehrenberg View Post
    I don't get it. Of course I don't get twitter either.

Isn't that what phones and email do?
    Jon - I used to feel the same way! I still don't get Twitter. But Facebook grew on me and became an easy, non-obtrusive, and non-invasive way to keep up with a vast array of far flung family and friends that I would never otherwise have the available time or resources to stay in the loop with. Okay - I'll admit it - it's also mildly addictive! But a guy's gotta have some vices, right? (And my homeowner association's covenents won't allow me to keep sheep - or, for that matter - park the bus in front of the house overnight!)

You left my question unaswered. Isn't that what phones and email do?

I'll admit to being a recent Facebook user, however my experience so far hasn't been anything to write home about.

I joined at the suggestion of some business friends, with the express idea of looking for some old Army buddies. I've found none of them, but I think there's got a be a better way to search for people.

You can search by name, but that gives thousands of possibilities. You can refine by "location", however if they haven't listed the city you expected, then you won't find them. You can look by email, but I don't have their emails.

I have seen friends with all these "fan" links, but I don't have a clue how they located many of them?

Anyway, I'm on Facebook as "Ray Davis, rdavis0521@me.com"

Ray

ps: the stuff I've seen on most peoples "walls" is pretty boring stuff. So, at this point, I'm there, but waiting for the aha moment.

ajhaig Guest

I'm on Facebook "Andrew Haigney"

I agree with Ray, most of the stuff is pretty boring, but it's a good way to stay in contact with people.

Jon... You've got to embrace the information superhighway - phones and email are old school!

AJ,

I have just gotten to the point where I am probably OK to use emails. My phone is just that. No camera, no voice mail, no text messages, etc.

So work with me here and outline exactly what this new stuff on the information highway does that email and a cell phone will not do. Talk slow and do not use big words.

So work with me here and outline exactly what this new stuff on the information highway does that email and a cell phone will not do. Talk slow and do not use big words.
    This is from my VERY limited experience with it, so YMMV.

FB allows you to have "friends". In your account you have a "wall", and when you post something there, anyone who is your friend instantly gets a notification of that post.

So, it's a very quick way of disseminating information to "interested" people. You can alternately send a private type of message too, if you want to, but the intended use is to simply type a message, add a photo or two, and then everyone who cares, instantly knows about it, and can view said items.

A similar concept to friends is "fans". I don't know exactly how they differ, but I believe the same concept applies, that when you post, your "fans" get it. I've only known of celebrities or businesses who have "fans", rather than friends.

By being a "friend" or a "fan" of someone, you are in essence saying, "I want to be kept informed of what you want to post". From there it's automatic, both for me as a poster, or as a friend of someone else.

Ray

I have been on it for quite a while due to my just completed chairmanship of the OSU Alumni Association. While there are some mildly amusing parts of it, it's like an electronic stream of consciousness that is mostly disinteresting. It is also constantly trying to data mine your contacts and such looking for more folks to goad into belonging to Facebook - it's basically a social virus.

All my high school buddies (or at least the girls) found me but they are all grandmothers now and I have a 10 year old, so that doesn't work.

All the old dopers from school are trying to remember their formulative years, so that gets boring after a while. They should have paid attention more and smoked less dope.

It's kinda like those letters you get at Christmas from your cousin where they tell all they did over the past year, how good their life is and how great their kids are and all the cute things they do. I am only vaguely interested in any of it, so its not worth much to me.

And if I want to irritate people until their eyeballs bleed, isn't that what POG is for?

OK, I'll admit it, I too am on facebook. With my lovely picture, I managed to get a couple of, how do I say this with diplomacy, "friends", who turned out to be ladies of temporary affection. You really have to watch who you allow to be "friends"........... They must be popular because when I looked at their profiles they had several hundred other "gentlemen" friends.
    I will not go public with my Facebook Stage name, however if anyone is willing to be my neighbor in Farmville, send me a PM.

John