Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mercedes GL as TOAD

Default Mercedes GL as TOAD

We have a Mercedes GL450, 07 model, that I want to flat tow behind the bus. This is a "one time" deal and since we usually tow a trailer, I don't want to spend $$$ outfitting the GL with a tranny pump. So, my method is to start it, put it in neutral, and let it idle as I flat tow it. It's a 4500 mile round trip. I have done this successfully with an 03 Ford Excursion (well, except for one time when it ran out of diesel on a really long haul across Montana and Wyoming, which caused the tranny to die once it stopped running)

I have no qualms letting this thing idle forever, but would like to solicit opinions on the effects on the GL.

Of course the Mercedes dealer knows nothing....

Thanks in advance..

Default One way tow

if its a one time tow, why not put it on a trailer and save the wear and tear.
    Gary & Lise Deinhard, 2003 Elegant Lady Liberty, Dbl slide

Or a dolly with the rear wheels on the dolly.
    Greg

I would just rent a U-Haul car trailer. They are stout and will easily carry the weight. Then you don't have to mess with a hitch or lights for the M-B.

Bob,

The cost to put a hitch and wire lighting and set up a brake will be more expensive than buying a cheap car hauler trailer. It cost me close to $2k to set up my Tahoe including the cost of the towbar, mounting brackets, wiring and M&G brake. I have a cheap car hauler that I use for the trailer queen Jeep that cost me $1,500. I have a friend who bought a trailer for a single trip and then sold it upon his return. It ended up costing him $200 in a lower sales price. Or rent one from UHaul like Jon said.

Loc

Loc - 2008 Marathon XLII - Houston

I already have the tow bar, and temporary lights. I don't want a trailer because of the hassle of storing the trailer. We are skiing in the mountains, and I can unhook the GL and use it, but parking is already a problem and might be really tough with a trailer. I may end up not taking the GL, but we have 5 kids with us, and driving the bus for gorceries and too the mall is a real hassle! This method worked great with the Excursion on the 12000 miles I put on it flat towing, but the GL is all wheel drive, and a bit more complicated than the 2wd excursion.....

I would have a real hard time dragging my MB behind my bus. What about having a rental waiting for you when you get to the slopes?

Judi Brown Guest

Thumbs down Towing MB

Is this the same as a G Wagon. If so my husband brought one only to find out it can't be towed without undoing 2 drive shafts. He likes it so much, he going to use a trailer.
    Judi B

Quote Originally Posted by PLSNTVLE2 View Post
    I would have a real hard time dragging my MB behind my bus. What about having a rental waiting for you when you get to the slopes?
    This is what we did when we leased a plastic coach for a trip a few years ago. Line up rentals either at your destination or drop off the wife or other driver at rental spot near destination. Works great and you won't be draggin your MB around the country while it idles...

You wouldn't want to be stopped or have an occasion or incident where you not only are found towing a 3 ton vehicle with the engine running, key in the ignition, and no tow(ing) vehicle actuated braking mechanism in the towed vehicle, I would think.