I have seen theses before, but hadn't gotten one yet... Now I have one...

I was at West Marine in Lake Havasu, and West has these units on sale for 79 bucks, plus a 30 dollar mail in rebate gift card for a total of 49 bucks!

The subscription is 100 bucks a year for basics, and you can add on as shown on the website.

www.findmespot.com

More or less, you log on and create your account. Who you want called, emailed or texted when you push one of three buttons... 911/sos, help, or all ok just checking in.

It sends a satellite signal with said message, and a link to google maps with your current gps location to your chosen recipients.

They can link roadside assist to it as well.

We do 4wheel trips into BFE where nothing works, and the other half would love to just get a text / email saying all is ok.. It will do other things as well as you can see on the site.. But for the dollars.. What a great deal.

I just set mine up, put it in the back yard, and pressed the "all ok" button. It had never been powered up before, or aquired a gps fix anywhere..

In about 5 minutes, both our cell phones got a text, and the two email addresses got email.

I clicked the link to google maps in the email, and hit the sat view, and it pinpointed my location in my back yard within feet.

I am impressed. Especially for the minor investment.

The reason its on sale is they are releasing a smaller unit.. This one is ok with me